Author Topic: How do I find judges?  (Read 1198 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
How do I find judges?
« Reply #-1 on: March 26, 2013, 11:54:55 PM »
I am the president of a city league girls fast pitch softball association and also the president of the booster club for a high school girls fast pitch softball team. We are always looking for new and more interesting fundraisers. We are sponsoring some tournaments this year and it occurs to me (duhhhh) that we could add a BBQ contest as part of the fund raiser - lots of fun, good eats, good softball, and maybe make some money. I am not trying (at least this year) to make this something "official". However, I'd like to find some respected judges in my area both for this year and to create something bigger moving forward. I am in Minnesota - suburb of MPLS. How do I go about locating potential judges?

Thank you for your help.

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: How do I find judges?
« on: March 26, 2013, 11:58:42 PM »
I would PM Hub, or ACW3.

They are KCBS judges.  I guess the question I have is: Do you want to have a "sanctioned" event? That may have some advantages - but there will be some dis-advantages also.

Hub or ACW3 or any other judges on the site can give you more insight.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »
T - thank you.

I will send a PM to Hub and ACW3 as well as Pappy.

No, at this time I am not looking for a sanctioned event. This is largely a matter of just making something happen right now. Maybe the next year or two we would look at something sanctioned if the interest is there. This is mostly because I see an opportunity to do something different and potentially attract teams to our tournaments. Later it could be something in its own right and something special.

Thanks for the ideas.

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:52:46 AM »
With an un-sanctioned event, you can write the rules to allow - or not - whatever kinds of equipment is allowed, how the competitors obtain the meat they are to use, and the check in process for it, etc....
You can also pick judges from the area that are perhaps known for their "public persona" . The local food critic for the newspaper, the mayor, and maybe the football coach.  (This doe not mean that they know squat about BBQ... ;)) But - it helps to attract consumers to have "personalities" there.

Just some ideas....
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:53:08 AM »
The KCBS website keeps a database of Certified BBQ Judges..

http://www.kcbs.us/judges.php?alph=A&all

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
Post the event here: http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

I'm sure you'll get a lot of judges offering their services.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pappymn

How do I find judges?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
I love this forum. So many smart and helpful people. Not sure what I am doing here ;)

David, let us know if you do it. I am only a short ride away.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
T is correct -- unsanctioned events usually use "celebrity" judges (mayor, fire chief, etc.).  Suggestion:  Give your cooks requirements on what they are to cook (e.g. ribs, chicken, etc.) and how much to prepare and how to turn it in.  Blind judging isn't necessary unless you want to add the complication of it.  Give your judges the criteria and scoring method -- for example, appearance and taste on a scale of zero to ten, ten high.  This way it stays simple but there is at least something to guid folks and aim for.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. Yeah, I am thinking this first version will be "loose" and fun. The idea is to get more people to the tournament and make it fun. As we grow, maybe make it more "citified". Feel free to keep heeping advice as we are still a ways away. And Pappy - you are already on my short list - I will be talking with you as we get closer.

Again,

Thank you!

David
Member #