Author Topic: STEAK!  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Palmyrasteak

Re: STEAK!
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2013, 07:39:06 PM »
Looks like some mighty good ideas on cooking steak!  As for me, I like the ribeye cooked medium. So far all the steak competitions that we have been in are ribeyes, cut 1 1/4" thick and for the judges the doneness has to be  medium. The appearance  ( grill marks)  is also in the judging criteria, and of course taste and tenderness as well.
For me, I like to trim all but about 1/8" of fat on the edge of the steak. If you have a steak with a large amount of fat around the edge, SAVE THE FAT FOR LATER. I use only a dry rub when it comes to seasoning steak. I never measure any of my seasoning so I can't say how much but it's not much. Just a light coat does the trick for me. Let the steak come to room tempurature. At this point you should see a bit of "moisture" forming on top of the steak. Thats a GOOD THING! 
When I fire up my grill ( its a Yoder flat top ) I get the grates up to about 250/300 degrees and then take the fat that I saved from trimming with tongs and rub down the grates. If you don't have enough leftover fat, try cutting an onion in half and rub the grates with that. I like to get my grates up to about 800 degrees. Add just a LITTLE fresh cracked pepper right before it hits the grill. If the fire is good and HOT, figure about 4 minutes on each side. Take it off the grill and LET IT REST for about 5 minutes. Well that my story and I'm sticking to it. It has worked for us so far. I'll try to get my daughter to teach me how to put some pictures on here when she has time   :-[

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
I like the rub the grill with fat or onions tip!! This might help you with pictures, its really pretty easy :) Click here

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2013, 04:34:19 AM »
Might have to make my wife a rib-eye for her birthday Sunday.  Yeah, I'm doing it for my wife.  That's the ticket.  I guess I'll make myself one too.  ::)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2013, 05:39:23 AM »
Meathead posted some new articles that debunk grill marks. Interesting read if you haven't seen it at amazingribs.com

I had a similar idea after searing a steak on friday night which had no grill marks but one of the tastiest crusts I ever had, instead.

I coat steaks with coarse sea salt before searing. But I usually ad coarse ground pepper always after searing, to avoid the pepper from charing and causing a bitter flavor to the meat.

Offline RickB

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2013, 05:26:29 PM »
over KB in the kettle w/ grill grates.  the best.  Costco steak seasoning.  oh baby.  I don't use a thermometer for steak.  its how much give it has.  squishy = rare, firm = well done, light give = medium, medium squishy = medium rare.  its all about the touch.   8)

Ditto!

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2013, 06:07:03 PM »
Went to get some rib eyes today... holy crap! $13.99 a pound!!

I could buy a steer and carve my own for less than that!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)