Author Topic: Grass Fed, Pasture Raised Ribeye Steaks  (Read 4067 times)

Offline RickB

Re: Grass Fed, Pasture Raised Ribeye Steaks
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
your quite the food person.  excellent cook my friend.  you have a lot of food knowledge.  what do you do for a living?  must be a chef or own your own restaurant.

Sparky - I love hanging out here cause I am always reading and learning from an accumulation of knowledge that far exceeds my own capacity to experience..

I cook a little bit.
http://welcometothecookout.com/about/

I think this man's modesty is equaled only by his cooking skills!

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 06:34:23 PM »
Looks really good. And I can't wait for my newsletter
Love to cook and eat

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2013, 11:05:51 AM »
Beautiful and tasty I am sure.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Beef prices
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:26 AM »
Wholly cr*p!! SWMBO wanted some red meat for dinner so I went to the supermarket (not even the butcher's because there aren't any around here anymore)... Went to the service shelve (not the "butcher's" counter)... bone-in rib eye steaks... $14.99/ #. And they weren't even prime!

Food costs are going crazy!!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2013, 02:48:41 PM »
Great looking steaks. Being grass fed I bet they had a great flavor.

Ironically the butcher & I were just talking about grass-fed vs. grain-fed beef and the differences.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2013, 05:52:31 PM »
I've done a bit of reading and experimentation with the variety of beef available to me and found there are differences in flavor as much as one can compare beef-to-beef cut-to-cut preparation-to-preparation.  My friend Pat is a rancher in Hermiston, OR and we've discussed his decision to ranch cattle this way. Other friends have ranches that pasture-land raise but fatten at feed lots. 

One of the people I pay attention too is Carrie Oliver of http://artisanbeefinstitute.com/  I got to know her a bit at one of the "steak tastings" she produces around the country where local ranchers feature their grass fed and/or pasture raised beef - most of which is also organic (no chemical fertilizers) even though it may not be marketed that way. Here in the NW we have a history of cattle ranching and good pasture grass on the western side of the mountains, excellent hay/alfalfa on the eastern side (much of it is exported to Japan and elsewhere - go figure~!)

I can taste the terroir* of beef when it's prepared side-by-side albeit mostly a nuance. Pretty much my friends that hunt tell me they can taste the difference in game they harvest in different geographic areas for some of the same feed-related reasons.

Evidently the grass fed beef is lower in some if not most of the bad stuff associated with corn-fed feed-lot beef and higher in some important good stuff like Omega 3.  With the drought affecting grain costs and cattle ranchers cutting back on production to hold prices the local artisan/small ranch beef is fairly even in price with the standard raised Choice & Prime cuts sold at grocery stores, etc. 

BTW - if you take a look at labels for where food comes from you may be surprised to find beef packaged and sold in the U.S. is coming from Australia-New Zealand-Central America and elsewhere. Checked a label of Tri-tip at Trader Joe's the other day and it had a laundry list of countries of "possible" origin.  I prefer to eat local and keep jobs here rather than become dependent upon off-shore sources for everyday food regardless of pasture-raised, feed-lot or other wise...

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terroir
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:19:43 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:13:57 PM »
Barry if that steak was a fish you would mount it....On second thought NO just eat it :)

Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill

Offline Palmyrasteak