Author Topic: Flavored EVOO  (Read 1079 times)

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Flavored EVOO
« Reply #-1 on: January 12, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Barry CB Martin

Re: Flavored EVOO
« on: January 13, 2012, 08:56:04 AM »
Ok...gonna wade in here just a bit.

IMHO  Several folks who visit a little bit over at that other forum may recall the olive oil producer who posted some comments about olive oil, in particular the qualities of true EVOO.  And you may also recall the color and cloudiness of the good stuff.

The stuff we all buy (or have bought) at Kroger and other places and that is kinda of off-amber and not truly green and cloudy is a filtered version of EVOO and may actually be one that is suspect...Consumer Reports alleged that many olive oils are actually blends of some olive oil and other less expensive and neutral flavored oils. Canola and Safflower are often these oils. Peanut oil being too expensive.

Soooo I am not judging, nor am I trying to impose on this topic. I ENJOY, MAKE AND BUY FLAVORED OLIVE OILS...and think these flavors in the post are cool....but I more often prefer really good olive oil that's all greenish and cloudy and drizzled on fish or charred grilled meat...wow. And if you are going to do your own flavor enhancement at home - do so with safflower or canola...it's cheaper and easily flavored.

CB
« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 01:16:01 PM by Barry CB Martin »

Offline Bobo1

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 03:21:34 AM »
Hey guys, consider trying "Grapeseed Oil".  My local winery sells some very good oil.  Not sure if they produce it themselves or not, I will have to go and check that out, may check out a little of their wine too.
But I have used their flavored Grapeseed oil and find that it is very good for dipping or flavoring foods after cooking.  I even took some left over Spaztle (a kind of cross between a drop noodle and a dumpling for you non Germans), and added several different cheeses, french fried onions,  and flavored it with garlic infused grapeseed oil.  It was very delicous, better than Mac and Cheese.
2 Charbroil Reds
1 Charbroil TBE
1 Big Easy Electric Smoker/Roaster (BEESR)
1 Charbroil Big Easy Gasser
1 Masterforge  Gas Smoker
1 Beautiful Wife tired of me buying cookers and accessories

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 01:19:16 PM »
Bobo that's an excellent suggestion...one problem is the price. Grape seed oil used to be pretty cheap, comparatively speaking, only 10 years ago. But with the increase of "gourmet cooking" it's really gotten outta site. The 16 ounce bottle I paid $4 for in 1997 is now nearly $15.  :o

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 02:25:23 PM »
Annie's has their flavored oils on sale with free shipping if you purchase 6 bottles. They have the roasted garlic, the basil, the roasted pepper, and the dipping oil for about $4.99 per 8.4 oz bottle. For less that 30 bucks, you can get a six pack of these oils delivered to your door. Good stuff!

https://annies.alice.com/products?tag_id=608
Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts