Author Topic: Meat prices  (Read 946 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Meat prices
« Reply #-1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
I'm curious... here in the Northeast meat prices seem high... even on sale.

What does everyone pay for Spares, St. Louis Spares, Baby Backs and Boston Butt?

This week's supermarket flyer has the following sales: Spares for $1.99/ # St. Louis cut for $2.49/# (why you wouldn't trim your own I don't know) and Baby Backs for $2.99/# which is much lower than usual.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: Meat prices
« on: April 18, 2013, 09:39:25 AM »
That's the sale prices we see here in VA.  Butts go on sale occasionally for $0.98

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:41:32 AM »
For supermarket prices, those are about the same as I see in North Texas.  Butts are normally $1.99 but go on special regularly for about $1.49 (the last time was for $.79  ;D).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 09:48:35 AM »

At our Sam's Club..

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:05 AM »
Wayyyyyyy too high down here in SWFL  >:(

Brisket 6.99, BB's (on sale) 3.99, reg spares (on sale) 2.79, butts 2.79 at the grocers. Not sure about Costco, as I won't be going until this weekend
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
Several years of crazy weather with summer drought = pasture land devastated in the west and other cattle producing regions.  Hay, alfalfa, corn and other feed crops affected and prices higher. Beef industry cut back on production. Supply down + demand remains constant = higher prices and more imports. Check the labels at Trader Joe's and see the source countries for their meat. S'why I support food label regs. Just wanna know where it comes from and what's in it.  Informed choices are good.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:10:14 PM »
Several years of crazy weather with summer drought = pasture land devastated in the west and other cattle producing regions.  Hay, alfalfa, corn and other feed crops affected and prices higher. Beef industry cut back on production. Supply down + demand remains constant = higher prices and more imports. Check the labels at Trader Joe's and see the source countries for their meat. S'why I support food label regs. Just wanna know where it comes from and what's in it.  Informed choices are good.

X2!

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:20:05 PM »

X3
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »
My Sam's prices here in NC are pretty much the same as STC posted give or take a few cents.  Also, Sams has unadulterated meat (no brine solution injected into the cryovac) if you look around. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:18:55 PM »
I just bought two bone in pork butts for 1.78 a lb................. huge spares were 2.99 a lb.....................just got the butts this time though.............
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Sandman

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:34:40 PM »
I got b/i pork butt today for $.99# from gfs. Spares at Sam's have been running $1.79#. Center cut pork loin has been pretty consistant $1.79 to 1.89# at Sam's. These prices are pretty darn cheap compared to the last few years. Now beef is another story.

Barry CB Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:53:20 PM »
Pork industry responded to flood of rumors earlier this year and late last - that bacon and pork prices would be going up.  They evidently have production "under control" and I can only assume that means contracted feed prices.  Different that beef which to the best of my understanding all spends some time on pasture/range before heading to feed lots - regardless of grain or grass fed. 

100% pasture raised is different than just grass fed. (hay, alfalfa, etc are grass and can be fed in feed lots)

And the documentation as to organic isn't necessarily restricted to range and pasture, nor does pasture and range necessarily mean organic.

funny thing about our agricultural policy - I can spray all the chemicals I want, fertilize with chemicals and never have to say a thing. BUT if I wanna raise food that isn't treated with chemicals at any stage I have to come up with all manner of paperwork, certification and verification that I didn't use anything.  Not coming down against our amazing agricultural production status - just sayin.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 04:55:51 PM »
Pork industry responded to flood of rumors earlier this year and late last - that bacon and pork prices would be going up.  They evidently have production "under control" and I can only assume that means contracted feed prices.  Different that beef which to the best of my understanding all spends some time on pasture/range before heading to feed lots - regardless of grain or grass fed. 

100% pasture raised is different than just grass fed. (hay, alfalfa, etc are grass and can be fed in feed lots)

And the documentation as to organic isn't necessarily restricted to range and pasture, nor does pasture and range necessarily mean organic.

funny thing about our agricultural policy - I can spray all the chemicals I want, fertilize with chemicals and never have to say a thing. BUT if I wanna raise food that isn't treated with chemicals at any stage I have to come up with all manner of paperwork, certification and verification that I didn't use anything.  Not coming down against our amazing agricultural production status - just sayin.

I need a raised eyebrow emoticon... you really gotta wonder...
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #