Author Topic: Quick Friday Dinner  (Read 790 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Quick Friday Dinner
« Reply #-1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:38:34 PM »
...with enough leftovers for the weekend.  I was going to cook tomorrow, but I managed to get out of work a little early and surprised the family with a rare weekday meal.

The "ribs" were a 3 lb chuck that I had the butcher cut into country style beef ribs for me.  1st a little Parkay and beef rub.  Then, they were cooked indirect in the main chamber of my offset at about 400 degrees along with a couple of minutes pre-sear direct over the coals for markings and color.  They were basted with Sweet Baby Ray's and glazed over the coals to finish.  Not sure about finished temp, but they were medium pink in the center.  I wasn't going for pulled beef, and they were really tender for hot and fast chuck (nice amount of marbling).

The pork was a 4 lb loin with a little bit of Parkay and pork rub and then garlic crusted and cooked indirect at 400 (with a short sear over the coals to start).  Finished at 135 and then tented/rested for 10 minutes.

Last but not least was some spinach risotto.  Dessert was fruit medley, but no pics of that.

As for the beef, you'd think I'd be able to find country style beef ribs in Texas.  When all else fails, improvise.  Even most supermarket butchers will cut and re-wrap stuff custom for you if you are nice about it.  So, for $2.99/lb I got what I wanted with only a little bit of extra work.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 07:43:42 PM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Quick Friday Dinner
« on: April 19, 2013, 07:42:39 PM »
What a great cook. It all looks awesome. Looks like you nailed the pork temp perfect. "Ribs" have great color.

And I'm having delivered pizza :(
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Quick Friday Dinner
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
What nice looking dinner. At least Pappy is having delivered pizza tonight, I am having a frozen pizza the wife wanted me to pick up at the store today. At least I have a decent red wine to have with it, would rather be drinking it with Billy's meal.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:58:46 PM »
Fine dining there Billy, looks Awesome!!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 08:34:49 PM »
Nice lookin' food there.

Looks like you're pretty good with an OFFSET grill.

I'd like to know more about the beef you cooked... was it a chuck roast?  Could someone cut it up like that at home?
It looks really good and since it is not typically a pricey cut...I could serve it too my fiends...some of whom are not too pricey themselves, if you know what I mean.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 11:37:48 PM »
Great looking eats!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 06:09:47 AM »
Nice lookin' food there.

Looks like you're pretty good with an OFFSET grill.

I'd like to know more about the beef you cooked... was it a chuck roast?  Could someone cut it up like that at home?
It looks really good and since it is not typically a pricey cut...I could serve it too my fiends...some of whom are not too pricey themselves, if you know what I mean.

Yes, it is chuck roast cut lengthwise to about 1.5 inches (or whatever gets you fairly even strips).  I would have (and certainly could have) cut it at home, but since the butcher would do it why not... ;)

P.S. If anyone is wondering why I pulled the loin so early, I knew the ends would be done plenty and wanted to leave a little bit of cook for the leftovers from the center.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:15:03 AM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Quick Friday Dinner
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 08:38:48 AM »
Looks great! I'll take a Lil of each please :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »
Looks like a perfect dinner!