Author Topic: Burgers thick or thin?  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Chili Head

Burgers thick or thin?
« Reply #-1 on: April 25, 2013, 12:04:39 AM »
I've been on a sort of burger quest lately. I've been doing thick, thin, really thin and stuffed.
After all this I think I prefer a thin burger. It cooks fast and if you cook it on high heat it won't dry out unless you get distracted by watching the clouds float by. Yeah been there done that lol. I did a stuffed goat cheese burger last week that was outstanding but it was too thick. I like how the thinner burgers get the seasoning flavor more throughout..I haven't tried mixing the seasoning into the burger yet I've just dusted them. I think a good char is important too to help keep the juices in plus I like the caramelized crunchy edges. You really don't get that with a big thick burger.

Without getting into toppings and such how do you guys like your burgers!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Burgers thick or thin?
« on: April 25, 2013, 12:15:03 AM »
My favorite burgers are thin and done on my flat top vs. the grill. I like the "diner" style burger - thin, nice char, dusted with salt and pepper, not over worked. On a toasted simple white bun - ketchup & plain yellow mustard with a couple of pickle slices. A foamy glass of milk on the side. Dang, now I'm hungry!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 02:56:40 AM »
My experience in recent time was that thinner burgers harmonize better with the other condiments and toppings than thicker ones.

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 06:27:42 AM »
I like a big ol' fat burger that is charred on the outside and still juicy on the inside
Love to cook and eat

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »
I like a big ol' fat burger that is charred on the outside and still juicy on the inside

Ditto
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 07:25:32 AM »
If I do a thin burger it will be in a cast iron skillet. And get a nice thick char on the outside. And then double up or triple the patties and you have a thick burger again.

A thick burger will find itself on the gas or pellet grill.

With that being said I prefer a thick burger. Nice and juicy. And all those juices get absorbed by the bun adding even more flavor.... Yummm ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »
Thick if homemade, but thin if out.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:43:06 AM »
A restaurant trick when cooking burgers on a flat top or a flat skillet (such as a Lodge iron griddle) is the cook the burger on one side, flip it, pour some water around the burger on the flat top and cover with a saute pan or pie plate. The moisture keeps the burger moist.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Hub

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 07:55:31 AM »
Over the years I have evolved two styles of burger prep and cooking, both are represented in this thread.  Neither is my one and only favorite.  Rather, I let my mood and the situation make the selection. 

For thin burgers I like 80/20 or 75/25 made into a patty about 1/2 inch thick cooked over very high heat in my cast iron skillet.  When I get it right they come out medium-well with a super-delicious crust on the outside and still juicy in the middle.  For a more robust burger, you can stack two of these on a bun and still get the same flavor kick.

For thick burgers I like 90/10 made into patties at least an inch thick on up to an inch and a quarter.  Cooking these over charcoal if I'm using my Weber Performer makes for a classic old time favorite.  They are also dynamite using Grillgrates on the Memphis at 550 degrees.  Either way I cook them to medium -- pink, warm center -- so they'll be sorta safely done but still be a bit juicy.

Honestly, the biggest sin I see inexperienced hamburger cooks commit is taking the spatula and pressing the juice out (often several times) while the burger cooks  :(

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
It depends on my mood. For smoked burgers, I like 'em thick with a nice steak-like bite to it.

But then again, there is something about two or three thin patties, crispy on the edges (like you describe) and piled on top of each other that you just don't get with thicker burgers.

I absolutely do NOT like burgers that are too lean, no flavor, no juiciness. So, as long as I need plenty of napkins, I'm good!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 09:13:15 AM »
I absolutely do NOT like burgers that are too lean, no flavor, no juiciness. So, as long as I need plenty of napkins, I'm good!

Good point, TH.  I've worked out a deal with the meat dept. at my favorite store.  They have 90/10 but it comes in from a packer and is actually ground round.  I call ahead and they will grind me 90/10 using sirloin which has a lot more natural meatiness.  The 10% fat seems to be enough to hold it together and add a little more moisture.  If I had a meat grinder (which I don't) I'd just grind my own.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:30:23 AM »
I buy most all hamburger from my butcher, 80/20 ground chuck, it is as good and fresh as I could do myself. I usually get my burgers too thick but I do like them at least 1/2 thick when done. I have been doing all low & slow on my Traeger, my latest is 45 minutes at 275 Deg. , that's about 300 deg. at grill level. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2013, 11:51:22 AM »
old school hamburgers.  thick and juicy over grill grates w/ a toasted bun.  oh ya.

old school the best for me.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
I'll take a couple of those!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
old school hamburgers.  thick and juicy over grill grates w/ a toasted bun.  oh ya.

old school the best for me.   8)
I don't know Sparky, maybe I need to come by the house and try one just to see if your really cooking or just got a few picks from a magazine ;)
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION