Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Garden to Table - Growing Your Own!

Square Foot Gardening

(1/5) > >>

Lynne S:
I've been using this method of gardening for many years now. Switched from the regular row gardening. This method takes up less space, less water, less work, less expense and almost no weeding. What more could one ask ;) Here in Nova Scotia we are just starting to get the garden ready. I've turned the soil and added a few inches of compost. Tomorrow I hope to put the first seeds in the ground, peas and spinach will go first, followed by onion sets. Here is what the garden looks like right now. The garlic chives and regular chives are up from last year and the rhubarb is poking through.

These are my 2 largest beds, never make the bed more than 4 feet wide because you want to be able to reach the middle from both sides.

It is so easy to turn the soil because it is loose no one ever walks on it so it doesn't get packed down.

Garlic and onion chives

I use these beds for things that climb like peas and squash.

I took another pix showing the steel bands that are used to hold plastic in case there is a risk or frost and during the summer garden netting can be placed on these bands to keep birds from raiding my garden:)

Here is the rhubarb poking it's way through-

Keymaster:
Super nice garden boxes Lynn!!

Pappymn:
Very cool. We have something similar......when the rabbits leave us alone. Want to grow chives this year. Like the garlic idea.

Smokin Don:
Nice garden Lynn, I like your arbor at the entrance too. I have chives planted in two 12 inch round tiles and they are up nice now. Don

sparky:
very nice garden area.  those are really raised beds.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version