Cured Meats & Food Preservation > Charcuterie: Ham, Bacon, Sausage, etc.

Applewood Smoked Cider Mill Bacon

<< < (5/5)

Lemonhead78:
Awesome post tee. I want to make this when I get my mak. How long to let it sit to get pellicle. What am I looking for ? If I want to freeze the finished product should I not slice it ?

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: Lemonhead78 on September 10, 2018, 07:21:26 AM ---Awesome post tee. I want to make this when I get my mak. How long to let it sit to get pellicle. What am I looking for ? If I want to freeze the finished product should I not slice it ?

--- End quote ---

Thanks!

Some guys will let the pellicle form for hours, but honestly the amount of time to let it sit and form the pellicle is NOT really all that critical.  The pellicle is a layer of sticky protein that starts forming as soon as you pull it out of the brine and pat it off.  As soon as the bacon feels slightly tacky to the touch you are good to go.  The pellicle will continue to form while you are cold-smoking.  I usually just pat it off with really well with some paper towels, sit it on some racks on the stove with the vent/hood turned on for about an hour or so. 

I usually slice all of the bacon, then vac-seal and freeze in 1 lb packs. this way I only have to clean the slicer once, and I can pull a pack out of the freezer when needed and it's already sliced.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version