Recipes > Beef Recipes

Super EZ Pastrami

(1/9) > >>

Hub:
It won't be long until St Patrick's day comes around again AND, shortly after that, corned beef will go on sale!!!!!!

This recipe uses a store-bought corned beef brisket so it isn't "from scratch" like some others.  However, it yields a small hunk of pastrami that will stand up to any and all competition and is very easy to do. 

3-5 lb Corned Beef Brisket
3 TBSP Coarse-ground  black pepper
2 TBSP Garlic powder
1 TBSP Onion powder
2 Tsps Ground Coriander

Wash brisket thoroughly and soak overnight in water (refrigerated).  Change water the next day and soak for at least another half day to remove excess saltiness.  When finished soaking, dry brisket with paper towels and rub with well-mixed dry ingredients listed above.

Smoke at 225 for six hours (I used Cookinpellets.com 100% hickory).  Remove and double-foil, then refrigerate overnight.  Next put the foiled brisket in the oven at 250 for six hours (why burn pellets when all you need is heat?).  Remove from foil and allow to rest at least 30 minutes (if you've got the will power).  Slice very thinly across the grain, of course.

This recipe makes pastrami that is very, very close to NYC Deli pastrami -- give it a try!

Hub

smokeasaurus:
I did some strami last year and enjoyed it...tad bit salty...might have to soak it a little more than I did...thanks for the heads up and the recipe!!

squirtthecat:

Oh yeah, this is good stuff...
I do a 3 day soak, and then dry & rub and let sit wrapped tight one more day before smoking.

I think I still have a couple in the freezer from last St Paddy's Day.   Hmm...

TentHunteR:
Super easy and tastes great! What could be better?  8)

teesquare:
Hub that looks mighty tasty!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version