Author Topic: Leftover Meat Hash  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Leftover Meat Hash
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 10:27:52 PM »
Just a follow up on the hash. After some more research it looks like hash similar to what I made is most popular in South Carolina and Georgia. Besides the meat S.C. style has potatoes and carrots in it, rub and BBQ sauce and the Georgia style has corn and vinegar in it; both have tomatoes. Then there are probably hundreds of variations of this. I wanted mine to be just a meat hash to try first. I did like it but want to experiment some more.

I had planned on my lunch today being the hash on top of some leftover potatoes I had, toast and an egg on the side. When I was at Lowes this morning they had some Rub Some Butt Carolina style sauce and I thought it might be a good addition to the hash.

I added a good Tbs. of the sauce to the hash and made my lunch, I liked it. This is something you can definitely play with. I did try some on bread as a sandwich and it was good. This is also close to the loose meat sandwiches that are popular in Kansas and Iowa. If you make it for sandwiches I would cook it down to as thick as you can get it.

CDN that was butter on the bread, love me some butter on my bread!

Rub Some Butt Sauce

My Brunch
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Leftover Meat Hash
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
Brunch looks great.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Hub

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 08:59:50 AM »
I've judged the hash competition at the Greenwood, South Carolina contest for the last two years.  It isn't an official category so there are no rules or standards.  That being the case, judges are free to just score what they like.  My favorite entries were very savory and meaty tasting with a mouth feel that wasn't too soupy.  My least favorites were overpowered by spicing (usually Worcestershire and/or salty rubs, I think) and were very liquid with no meat feel or savor.

It is interesting stuff and, I think, would make a good meal served over some good mashed potatoes or brown rice.  At the contest we just get it "straight".

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 09:28:52 AM »
I've judged the hash competition at the Greenwood, South Carolina contest for the last two years.  It isn't an official category so there are no rules or standards.  That being the case, judges are free to just score what they like.  My favorite entries were very savory and meaty tasting with a mouth feel that wasn't too soupy.  My least favorites were overpowered by spicing (usually Worcestershire and/or salty rubs, I think) and were very liquid with no meat feel or savor.

It is interesting stuff and, I think, would make a good meal served over some good mashed potatoes or brown rice.  At the contest we just get it "straight".

Hub

I thought you could tell us a little about southern hash Hub! I think I could have done without the Worcestershire in mine even though I didn't use much, probably less than a tablespoon. I especially thought this after adding some of the Carolina mustard sauce. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/