Author Topic: Smoking Brisket Question?  (Read 1459 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Smoking Brisket Question?
« Reply #-1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:34:18 PM »
Hello Everyone,

Every time I read someones thread about smoking a brisket, at the end of the process, the smoker always removes the brisket wraps it in tin foil, then wraps it in towels and usually places it in an insulated cooler. It rests for two hours holding its heat and then it is ready to serve nice and juicy.

Ok......why do this if there is a similar alternative available. Why can't the Brisket be foiled and wrapped after it is removed from the smoker and then placed in your home oven at 150 or 175 degrees and let it sit there resting for two hours. Would this not accomplish the same thing?

Your thoughts, please.

With kind regards,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Smoking Brisket Question?
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:03:01 PM »
After foiling the brisket you can finish it in the oven to save on pellets or charcoal.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:30:58 PM »
You can certainly hold it in the oven.

I use the cooler since it:

1. Doesn't use the oven, which may be needed for another item, and the cooler requires no electricity.

2. It is easier to get in the car than the oven, if the brisket has an alternative serving destination, such as Dolphins Stadium parking lot.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 07:46:26 PM »
VOD, real Texans think it is sacrilege to "finish it in the oven"; however, I almost always put a finished brisket in an unused oven for its time in FTC. Now on special occasions, when the brisket is stubborn and decides to go late into the night before it reaches its final IT of 205 degrees, I might have to put it in a 225 degree oven until it is done. I was born and raised in Texas, but when this comes to light, I will be disinherited.

And by the way, I'll see you at Wurstfest in November.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 07:59:39 PM »
Once you wrap in it foil, you might as well put it in the oven.

I don't wrap until it is at the target IT.

I don't like the texture of the bark if it gets wrapped in the "stall"

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 08:10:46 PM »

I don't wrap until it is at the target IT.

Me, too. I only wrap in foil when it is finished.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 08:19:04 PM »
Regarding your original question of holding in the oven instead of FTC... As mentioned, portability, needing the oven for other things and FTC not requiring a fuel source are the big reasons.  Also, IMO  the insulation of the FTC is superior to just foiling and putting in the oven at a holding temp when it comes to distributing moisture and allowing the meat to rest.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »
Thanks for that feedback. Now for a more difficult followup question. What temperature do you cook your brisket even through the stall foiling or not foiling?

thanks,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 07:31:33 AM »
We like 195-205 - it depends on how much resistance the probe gives - It's a "feel" thing.

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »
After foiling the brisket you can finish it in the oven to save on pellets or charcoal.

I do this all the time at home.  Electricity for my Maytag wall oven is a lot cheaper than pellets.

One note though -- "resting" means letting the meat come down in temperature a little and the FTC or Cambro being unheated will allow that.  If you put the brisket in the oven at, say, 170, it is going to continue to cook a bit. 

As to temperature question:  I cook at 250-265 until internal is 195-200.  Foiling saves a lot of time otherwise lost to the stall and if you foil at about 145-150 you'll still get nice bark if you use a fairly salty rub.

Hub
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 07:40:01 AM by Hub »
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 08:38:47 PM »
225-250 until internal of 195-205 then FTC.  Remember that internal temp is not an absolute (and also remember to test multiple spots) for doneness.  A probe inserting like a knife through butter will tell you when it is done.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS