Tips, Tricks & Just Good Advice! > Burn it in the Back Yard with Hub!

The Tao of Barbeque

(1/4) > >>

Hub:

There is no English word quite equal to “Tao”.  We borrow it from eastern philosophy and, loosely translated, it means “the way”.  It is very hard to put into English words, but it fits when you are trying to get at the deep, root, meaning of a subject.  Today I’m waxing philosophical about my favorite hobby – barbeque.

More specifically, I don’t think one can pursue the tao of anything without having an open mind and without making a concerted effort to understand what it really is.  It requires humility and knowledge that change is constant and forever.  Anytime one gets off on a jag that, in essence, says “I have the perfect concept” one has moved away from pursuit of the tao and toward some extreme (it may be right or wrong – that isn’t the point).

If you are with me thus far, I’ll posit some things I’ve learned about barbeque while pursuing its tao.  This pursuit will not end.  I’ll keep on learning.  This is just where I see it at this moment after trying to get comfortable with it for five decades.

First, defining “barbeque” is hopeless.  Yes, there are some scholars that purport anything cooked directly over burning matter as being it.  Then, arguments develop over the type of matter and direction of heat exchange.  In plainer words, the most common arguments move around grilling versus smoking, direct, versus indirect, and so on.  What, I ask, is the point?  This is academic folderol, tommyrot and thought gardening.  Skip this question – it has no universal answer.

Second, certain television celebrity cooks with more writers and budget than common sense chime in as “barbeque experts” and further roil the waters.  They are but talking heads.  Their goal in life is rating points, not consummate barbeque excellence.  Do not listen to their stilted messages.  Further, ignore the ministrations and antics of “barbeque” oriented television programs that make large of feuding, fussing, and animosity among and between individuals engaged in barbeque competitions.  This serves the same end – ratings.  All of the people I’ve ever met “on the circuit” are genuine, friendly, helpful, honest individuals who compete with a fun-loving spirit and, often, humanitarianism.  Turn off the tube.

Third, the finished product is far, far, more important than the groceries that went into it, the method employed in its preparation, or the presentation.  Yes, the whole really is greater than the sum of its parts!  Truly great barbequed food depends, ultimately, on the skill of the cook.  Alas, one of great tenure and stature may produce inedible garbage on the most sophisticated equipment, using the costliest of supplies and ingredients.  Conversely, a humble beginner may also create succulent and tantalizing food on limited facilities and with basic ingredients.  Building skill and knowledge of the art and science of barbeque are far more important than the size and number of the toys or the cost of the groceries.

Finally, and this is my most reverent, most heart-felt, and most complete item of learning, great barbeque is composed of many facets.  As God is my witness, it is not about smoke or sauce.  Among these are the food itself (usually meat), the recipe (spices, however applied – rub, mop, sauce, injection, etc.), the approach – the method of cooking and what it imparts to the product, and the orchestration of all the input by the cook.  Great barbeque must have all of these, in balance, and with superb creativity.  Good barbeque is moderately easy to do.  Great barbeque is a lot of work and takes practice, practice, practice.

There are defining moments in life and I’ll share one.  A couple of years ago I was judging a barbeque competition.  The subject of the moment was beef brisket.  I picked up and tested one of the entries.  It was beyond good – it was great!  It was tender without falling into mush.  It had moisture and wonderful texture for mouth feel.  The flavor was magnificent, composed of a complex but well woven set of zings and tingles and no one of them overwhelmed the others – it was unique and savory.  It just so happened that I looked at my fellow judges who were evaluating the same entry.  All had a rapturous look on their faces.  None of us could describe it as we discussed it later.  That piece of brisket was as close to perfection as I’ve ever encountered and I wasn’t the only person who felt that way.  These moments are, of course, rare.  But, they are worth living for!

The tao of barbecue transcends meat, method and money.  It is a state of mind and a level of pursuit, not a recipe or a tool.  No, I don’t mean “I’ll know it when I see it” but rather I mean I’ll keep looking and practicing and learning, knowing that even the very best efforts and results are never, really, optimal.

Deep?  Yeah.  Translation:  Have a lot of fun but don’t ever think you’ve figured it all out because that’s when you’ll be way, way wrong!

Hub   

teesquare:
Hub:
That is the most salient, and elegant explanation of the je ne sais quoi that *is* fine BBQ that I have ever read. Period.

Boys and girls -throw away your books - or at least tear out the pages of Myron (blech :P) Mixon waxing elequent....
HUB HAS NAILED IT !!!!!!!!

Not joking - this should ( and will be ;D ) a sticky here!

Thanks

T

Ron D:
Very Great post Hub.......and so true....if you follow Tao you are never a master but always a student

deestafford:
Hub,  Thank you so much for this educational philosophical view point. Spot on.  Dee

TentHunteR:
That is actually a very refreshing read and viewpoint! I love it!

I enjoy all the different forms of BBQ from Eastern Carolina Pulled Pork (I used to live in good ol' NC), to Memphis style dry ribs, to Jamaican Jerk. It's all good eating in my book!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version