Author Topic: Butcher paper brisket - Burnt ends  (Read 848 times)

Offline eldog73

Butcher paper brisket - Burnt ends
« Reply #-1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:30:30 PM »
I have done flats with butcher paper and really like the results.  The one packer I made was good but the burnt ends weren't as hoped. 

I have an 11# wallyworld packer that I plan on cooking tonite with some butts.  Just not sure how to handle the point.  I really like to let the brisket (flat) rest in a cambro for a couple of hours after reaching 200 before slicing.  On this one I was thinking of cooking to 170 or so and separate the flat and point and wrap separately and take both to 200.  letting the point rest a bit, then cubing an put in a pan with beef broth and rub for another 1-2 hours

I just don't want to disturb the slicing part till it had rested in the cambro.  I may just wait till I take it out of the cambro, separate the point and then do burnt ends

anyone have any thoughts?  I remember ptpalms had a similar cook with butcher paper

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Butcher paper brisket - Burnt ends
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:50:22 PM »
Don't know about when using butcher paper but I would separate the point from the flat after it has reached target temp of 200F. Just follow the fat line between the two cuts to quickly separate them. Then FTC your flat and cube the point. Put the cubes in a tray with BBQ sauce and back into the smoker for another few hours.

Someone like Old Dave will have much better advice than me but that is my two cents ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 05:10:43 PM »
What about separating it before cooking?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »
What about separating it before cooking?

A whole packer always seems to be better flat than just a flat by itself. The flats I have made have been more dry than whole packer flats. If you separate it before cooking won't it be just like cooking a flat by itself and more dry?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 04:15:28 AM »
I have done separated flats that are no different than the flat from a packer.  It does make doing the ends easier as well.  I think one issue with buying just the flat is how they trim it.  They also seem to sell smaller, leaner cuts for flats.  My $0.02 FWIW.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:42:22 AM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 07:25:18 AM »
I have done separated flats that are no different than the flat from a packer.  It does make doing the ends easier as well.  I think one issue with buying just the flat is how they trim it.  They also seem to sell smaller, leaner cuts for flats.  My $0.02 FWIW.

So when you seperate it you are leaving the fat vein intact on top of the flat correct? That would give a more moist flat and makes sense. Just never seen anyone seperate the two cuts before the cook.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »

So when you seperate it you are leaving the fat vein intact on top of the flat correct? That would give a more moist flat and makes sense. Just never seen anyone seperate the two cuts before the cook.

Yes