Author Topic: Not Cooking but Freezing  (Read 824 times)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
Not Cooking but Freezing
« Reply #-1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:45:26 PM »
Not much of a chance to cook right now so let's freeze some pork

If I am going to do something That i have not done before i start with some DD. From this site I found some recomadations on how to properly freeze meat.

Bulk buy the chops from Costco.

Wrap in plastic wrap

Vacuumn in 2 per bag, just me and my Wife

Thanks for viewing,

"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Not Cooking but Freezing
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:49:45 PM »
I also like to season my meat before freezing. It is great to thaw the meat and if it ready for grilling ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »
... season my meat before freezing...

... which has the added advantage of actually using some of those flavorings which otherwise tend to go stale in your pantry.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »
Great looking Costco pork!! I like the idea of wrapping it first the vacuum sealing for those extended freezer times.

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:27:32 PM »
Now myself I would have cubed that 5 pounds of pork into 1 inch cubes. Mixed 1 Tbs per pound of Sugar and 1 Tbs per pound of Mortons Tenderquick.  Mixed well and placed in a nonreactive container/Zipbag in the fridge for 3 days. Then soak in water for 15 minutes grind stuff then smoke and make it into Canadian Bacon!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 01:18:55 PM »
I also like to season my meat before freezing. It is great to thaw the meat and if it ready for grilling ;)
Great looking Costco pork!! I like the idea of wrapping it first the vacuum sealing for those extended freezer times.

Great suggestions ... Have never wrapped it first in plastic but will be trying it in the future.

I used to buy those Costco Pork Chops all the time until I spoke to one of their butchers/meat cutters and he informed me that I could save $$ if I buy their whole Pork Loin and cut my own chops which is what they do.  So now I slice my own "Center Cut" Pork Chops and then use the ends for Pork Loin Roasts  :)
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline Pappymn

Not Cooking but Freezing
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 02:53:45 PM »

Great suggestions ... Have never wrapped it first in plastic but will be trying it in the future.

I used to buy those Costco Pork Chops all the time until I spoke to one of their butchers/meat cutters and he informed me that I could save $$ if I buy their whole Pork Loin and cut my own chops which is what they do.  So now I slice my own "Center Cut" Pork Chops and then use the ends for Pork Loin Roasts  :)

Great tip Pete. Love Costco pork!

CDN, just as soon as i can sneak a vac sealer in the house I am on that.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109