Author Topic: Burned on Oil On Basket  (Read 585 times)

Offline firezilla

• It's really me, firefly!
    • Possets Perfume
Burned on Oil On Basket
« Reply #-1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:30:22 AM »
I have a very small CharBroil Tru Infrared that my family all love. Not all baskets fit in it. It's the 2 burner model. I have a grilling basketmade of a chrome plated mesh, which fits fine, I bought it at Sam's a year ago. My problem is that I have used it so much that the bottom of it has been plugged up entirely with baked oil! there are no more holes inbetween the mesh. So, it's just one big charred mass. I could sit there with a knife and try to pry it open However, I suspect there is an easier way to clean this thing. Do you know what it is? Care to tell me.? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 12:34:07 AM by firezilla »
Oh my, I just had the BEST grilled _______! Wow.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Burned on Oil On Basked
« on: July 12, 2013, 12:33:27 AM »
How about leaving it in the grill on high(clean) for an hour to burn off the crud.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline firezilla

• Possets Perfume
Re: Burned on Oil On Basket
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 12:34:43 AM »
Wow, I will give that a try.

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 12:53:01 AM »
Muebe has the concept down. However, if that doesn't work, put it in your self clean oven and try that. If that does not work, then the last resort is a blow torch.
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Northshore

Burned on Oil On Basket
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »
Try putting it in a pan of hot water just to cover bad area and then throw a couple of cascade dish washer pellets in water. No pellets any powdered dishwasher detergent. May have to heat it up some.
I have also used softener sheets in water. 
May not work all the time but has saved some of my pans.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
Try putting it in a pan of hot water just to cover bad area and then throw a couple of cascade dish washer pellets in water. No pellets any powdered dishwasher detergent. May have to heat it up some.
I have also used softener sheets in water. 
May not work all the time but has saved some of my pans.

Haven't tried the softener sheets - but the water/dishwater pellets work for me!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 01:39:58 PM »
Just a thought about the basket firezilla - and I have had the same issues.

I finally bought a new on at Williams-Sonoma that is made differently. It is shaped exactly the same as my other baskets - but rather than being made from a woven mesh of wire - it is made from a thin , perforated sheet of stainless steel.
This design makes it MUCH easier to clean - as there are no "crooks and crannies" for the crud to burn on and hide from our attempt to clean ;)

As well - the handle comes off, so it is no problem fitting it into the grill and closing the lid, and storage of the pan is much easier.

There are several different sizes and shapes, some with lids, etc....here is one that has a good picture to illustrate better what I am trying to describe above:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/steel-grill-round-fry-pan/?cm_src=AutoRel
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline firezilla

• Possets Perfume
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
WOW! Many thanks for all the answers. I decided to cook a head of cauliflower in tin foil which would expose the pan to high heat but do something useful at the same time. I looked in after an hour and the cauliflower was done and a lot of the basket was burned clean. I left the basket in on high heat for another hour and it's very clean indeed. So, thank you Muebe and I will also keep those other recommendations. I really hate to use up gas on just cleaning, it's the Scot in me coming out. But this was worth it. I will also investigate what W-S has in case of disaster. Again, thank you all!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 11:15:09 PM »
Your welcome. You can also use a self cleaning oven to do the job if the handles are removable. But it can create a lot of smoke in the house while it burns off.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven