Author Topic: Crazy genius or just crazy?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Crazy genius or just crazy?
« Reply #-1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:28:37 PM »
The wife thinks I am just crazy. I am the type of person that when I have a problem I look for a solution.

So here was my problem.

I have a Keurig that I use with reusable K-cups. They save a ton of money by allowing you to use your own ground coffee instead of buying the K-cups. But they can be difficult to clean due to the wet grounds after use...

Even the next day they will not be completely dried out. I have a swamp cooler and the higher humidity does not help with the drying time. When the grounds are completely dry they dump out with very little effort but they can take several days to dry out.

So my solution. A K-cup drying box. Start with a cheap food container and drill air exit holes along the bottom...

Then mount a computer fan on top powered by a USB plug. A phone charger plug works for this...

This design should easily dry my spent K-cups over a few hours. Then I can dump them out and use again with very little effort.

I can also dry out small batches of spices or even dry out caked rubs etc. A little mini dehydrator for no cost to me.

So when I showed my wife she thought I was crazy. She would not even take a picture and post it to her Instagram account! I am proud of my invention and if Billy Mays was still alive this thing would be on every infomercial at 4am ;)

A bigger fan and box or even a smaller fan and box. The possibilities are unlimited!!!

This is right up there with the pet rock and snuggie!!

So am I a crazy genius or just crazy? ::)

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Jaxon

Re: Crazy genius or just crazy?
« on: July 13, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
Great idea!

Patent pending?
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »
Great idea!

Patent pending?

Well if TendaRub can get a patent... :)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
Great Idea, I finally just  parked the kuerig in the garage on the shelf and went back to a $20 black and decker from Wallyworld.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:42:08 PM »
Great Idea, I finally just  parked the kuerig in the garage on the shelf and went back to a $20 black and decker from Wallyworld.

I have had this Keurig for many years. I make the repairs on it myself. The pumps and solenoids are the problem. I keep several on hand and change them out when there is a problem. I re-designed it so the back comes off without having to disassemble the entire thing. I found a website that sells the solenoids and pumps for cheap. You can also find the parts on e-bay.

I will take your old Keurig if you don't want it anymore or I can fix it for you if you ship it to me Aaron ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 12:46:57 PM »
Dang...didn't realize there was that much upkeep to those things.

Glad I didn't go for it.

All three of my friends have one
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »

I have had this Keurig for many years. I make the repairs on it myself. The pumps and solenoids are the problem. I keep several on hand and change them out when there is a problem. I re-designed it so the back comes off without having to disassemble the entire thing. I found a website that sells the solenoids and pumps for cheap. You can also find the parts on e-bay.

I will take your old Keurig if you don't want it anymore or I can fix it for you if you ship it to me Aaron ;)
Let me talk to the wife, it works great and really only used it for two months. I'll PM you after talking to her :)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
think I would have cleaned the fan blades first ;)

Nah....you would have taken away the time cultured earthieness from the mold and cat hair...... ;D

muebe - get your intake air from the backside of the refrigerator or some other warm air producing appliance? Might boost the effectiveness a bit.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 01:10:31 PM »
think I would have cleaned the fan blades first ;)

Nah....you would have taken away the time cultured earthieness from the mold and cat hair...... ;D

muebe - get your intake air from the backside of the refrigerator or some other warm air producing appliance? Might boost the effectiveness a bit.

I think just the constant air movement will work fine. And if I clean the fan blades it might throw off the fan balance ;)

Let me talk to the wife, it works great and really only used it for two months. I'll PM you after talking to her :)

Oh I thought it might be broken since your not using it. That is cool. I will take it if you don't want it.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 01:21:44 PM »
Nice idea Mike! And no....you're no kookier than the rest of us. Is that good or bad.....not sure!   ;)

Hey check this out. I've been using this for about 15 years. No waste, no excess acid, ready whenever the water is. Great product.
I buy beans in bulk and grind my own.
www.filtron.com/Filtron-30L-Cold-Water-Coffee-Brewing-System_p_8.html

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
I think there is a little craziness there muebe   ;D But I like you love my coffee. I used to grind my own and at one time I used a French press that does make good coffee. After the son and wife bought a Keurig that did it for me! I had to have one. Mine came with a reusable cup and I tried my own ground coffee but had to do the finest grind to get the taste I wanted.

After a few times of brewing my own I could not find the wire basket for the reusable one. Here my wife just took the top off and threw it in the trash. I now just buy the Kcups at Sams and Newmans Own is my favorite. I think it works out to just over 50 cents a cup. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!
Don

I just reread the posts and if you get a Keurig I recommend using filtered water with it. It's easy for me since my fridge has water that is filtered. Been using mine for 2 yrs. and no problems.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:35:07 PM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 01:31:54 PM »
Nice idea Mike! And no....you're no kookier than the rest of us. Is that good or bad.....not sure!   ;)

Hey check this out. I've been using this for about 15 years. No waste, no excess acid, ready whenever the water is. Great product.

I also buy in bulk and grind my own beans. The Keurig works good for me because I only drink a couple cups of coffee during the week and have less coffee waste since I am not brewing an entire pot. Just one cup at a time.

So that cold brewer makes a large batch then you re-heat a cup at a time as you need it? You store the coffee in a fridge? Interesting....
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
I think there is a little craziness there muebe   ;D But I like you love my coffee. I used to grind my own and at one time I used a French press that does make good coffee. After the son and wife bought a Keurig that did it for me! I had to have one. Mine came with a reusable cup and I tried my own ground coffee but had to do the finest grind to get the taste I wanted.

After a few times of brewing my own I could not find the wire basket for the reusable one. Here my wife just took the top off and threw it in the trash. I now just buy the Kcups at Sams and Newmans Own is my favorite. I think it works out to just over 50 cents a cup. Sometimes you just have to treat yourself!
Don

Don I use these...

http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Save-Refillable-Brewers-5-Count/dp/B00B737P8E/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1373736749&sr=8-14&keywords=reusable+k+cup

They do not require you to change the basket. They work with the standard cup basket. And they have a larger capacity and make a stronger brew than the standard reusable k-cup. Finding the right grind it important. It does require a slightly finer grind than normal but once you find the proper grind it is cool beans.

I have a cusinart grinder with an adjustable grind size. Once I found the proper grind I buy whole bean and grind it myself.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 01:42:56 PM »

So am I a crazy genius or just crazy? ::)
Mike,
First, yes you are crazy but that is a whole different thread and has nothing to do with this invention.  This thing is a good idea. ;D ;D ;D
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 01:45:53 PM »

I also buy in bulk and grind my own beans. The Keurig works good for me because I only drink a couple cups of coffee during the week and have less coffee waste since I am not brewing an entire pot. Just one cup at a time.

So that cold brewer makes a large batch then you re-heat a cup at a time as you need it? You store the coffee in a fridge? Interesting....
Yes, that's correct.  It does have a shelf life once you brew the "cold" syrup. I acquired an ulcer many years ago, and this method of cold-brewing takes about 80% of the acid without harming the taste. I am a coffee-holic. I love my coffee, and have tried every way to make from French press to Greek coffee, and everything in between. This cold-method is by far the best IMHO.
You can make iced coffee in a moment, and I also drizzle the coffee syrup on my ice cream.