Author Topic: My First Pizza Anything  (Read 1571 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Re: My First Pizza Anything
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
Great looking pizza. Love pizza.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 08:02:29 AM »
Looks good.. the dough seems like a lot of work though. A few more tries and I'm sure you will get it dialed in! Good choice of beer.. I would like one please!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline Sandman

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 02:51:17 PM »
Yes Pappy I will be trying this again. It was a lot of fun and Lana liked it. Bonus points ;)

The dough stretched out real thin so I will increase the batch to make the pizzas larger.m

I had issues with the dough sticking to peel. If anyone has suggestion I would like to hear it.
Get yourself a pizza pan and season it by putting a thin layer of olive oil on it and cook it until it's dry then spray with pam. This way your not trying to slide it off the peal. When it's cooked don't cut it on the pan. If you do it will eventually ruin the pan. Hope this helps.

Offline RickB

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 05:15:48 PM »
Pizza looks great, that peel would make a nice snow shovel but the metal peel is why you are having sticking problems. Do youself a favor and get a good wooden one. And while I can live with the steel baking sheet IMHO a good pizza stone is far superior. The only drawback of a stone is it takes much longer to preheat.

Rick

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 06:46:16 PM »
Rick,

I am with you on wood vs. steel peel. And get a nice one that won't crack. It will last forever. I wash mine when needed, and then treat with oil (food grade) and it has been with me for over a decade.

I do have to disagree on the steel sheet. I was a proponent of the pizza stone for many years (thought it would give me a bit of a brick oven effect) once I started to get the hang of the steel - I am a convert. It gets hot and holds / transfers the heat better than any stone I have used (including my Emil Henry - http://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-Flame-Pizza-Stone/dp/B003UI8B2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374014657&sr=8-1&keywords=henry+pizza+stone.) I can get a better char / bubble effect than I have any other way out side of a true wood fired oven.

That's my experience - your mileage might differ. Now I did pop for the thickest steel - it does take a good 15 - 30 minutes to heat up - much longer than a stone. But, my pizzas average 4 - 8 minutes and it is ready to go again right away. It is a heavy beast and a major pain to pull, scrape and clean. But, so far this is the best way I have made pizzas at home in 20 years of trying - outdoors and in.

Again, just my experience...

David
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:47:48 PM by drholly »
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pappymn

My First Pizza Anything
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 07:08:47 PM »
Rick,

I am with you on wood vs. steel peel. And get a nice one that won't crack. It will last forever. I wash mine when needed, and then treat with oil (food grade) and it has been with me for over a decade.

I do have to disagree on the steel sheet. I was a proponent of the pizza stone for many years (thought it would give me a bit of a brick oven effect) once I started to get the hang of the steel - I am a convert. It gets hot and holds / transfers the heat better than any stone I have used (including my Emil Henry - http://www.amazon.com/Emile-Henry-Flame-Pizza-Stone/dp/B003UI8B2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374014657&sr=8-1&keywords=henry+pizza+stone.) I can get a better char / bubble effect than I have any other way out side of a true wood fired oven.

That's my experience - your mileage might differ. Now I did pop for the thickest steel - it does take a good 15 - 30 minutes to heat up - much longer than a stone. But, my pizzas average 4 - 8 minutes and it is ready to go again right away. It is a heavy beast and a major pain to pull, scrape and clean. But, so far this is the best way I have made pizzas at home in 20 years of trying - outdoors and in.

David

I knew the pizza man would chime in ;)

Pizza throw down between David, CDN, and Rick (AKA Lobsterman)

Would love to see it.....and eat it
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline RickB

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
Rick,

David

I agree most pizza stones on the market do a terrible job. They are not thick enough to hold heat well like a steel sheet will. But if you get one at least 3/4 inch thick they do a great job. The best thing about stone is it will absorb the moisture in the crust if it is hot enough. I usually preheat my stone for an hour before I cook. If I preheat my stone for an hour on the mak at 400 I can cook a pizza in 5-6 minutes. I guess it is just what you are comfortable with.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »

[/quote]

I would like to point out Pappy I am at no point in my life to take up a pizza throw down. :( hopefully someday but so much to learn so little time.

As far as eating my mistakes, really if this was a normal summer for me you would be most welcome as you are only 12hrs away.
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 12:33:07 AM »
Rick,

David

I agree most pizza stones on the market do a terrible job. They are not thick enough to hold heat well like a steel sheet will. But if you get one at least 3/4 inch thick they do a great job. The best thing about stone is it will absorb the moisture in the crust if it is hot enough. I usually preheat my stone for an hour before I cook. If I preheat my stone for an hour on the mak at 400 I can cook a pizza in 5-6 minutes. I guess it is just what you are comfortable with.

Rick,

To me, this is the fun part - what we feel comfortable with. 'Cause, once we are "comfortable" then we start having fun! So, I think you are right - it matters less about what we cook "on" vs. what we cook. I bet your stone turns out pizza that is as good or better than my steel on any given day. But, I trust my steel, so I tend to reach for it. That is the fun of cooking.

Hope we meet someday and try some different things!

David
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 12:42:11 AM »
Rick,

David

I'd love a "throw down" - NOT because I think I would win - but because I KNOW I would LEARN a ton. As Pappy knows, I love pizza and I love making pizza. I figure this is a life long chase - the ultimate pizza (especially the crust!) Probably like many of you chase the brisket or the "perfect" bark...  ;)

So, anytime I have a chance to watch another "pizza guy", I take it - and steal everything I can!

David
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 12:47:00 AM by drholly »
Member #