Author Topic: Napa Kimchi  (Read 702 times)

Offline Tenpoint5

Napa Kimchi
« Reply #-1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:35:26 PM »
Don was nice enough to give me his recipe for Napa Kimchi. After conversing with him and I believe it was talked about on the forum. I tweeked it some on my last batch, which I put into jars this morning. I added a shredded Daikon Radish to the mix. Boy did it ever make a difference! It changed Don's recipe into the kimchi that my Korean neighbor used to make for me. So now I am Happy Happy Happy!!!

The Tag off the Daikon Radish

Everything all mixed up and ready to ferment for 2 days. The pink stuff is the white radish after it sucked up color from the Crushed Red Pepper that I used. Didn't have any Korean red pepper

After 2 days of fermenting I stuffed it into 3 quart jars. Don there was enough juice that I didn't need to add any water on this batch.

Everyone has been relocated into the cold storage of my beer fridge for a resting period. After I got everything put in the fridge. I went and got the mail. To my surprise I got a Box!! Seems our Favorite Turtle was thoughtful enough to send me some Korean Red Pepper Flakes! Along with a couple of other great seasoning packets for me to try!! So THANKS A LOT Ka Hanu!! I owe you my friend! Guess I get to make another batch of Kimchi now! ;D ;D

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Napa Kimchi
« on: July 15, 2013, 05:50:07 PM »
That does look good 10.5!!! I'll have to try it with the Daikon radish the next time. I just finished the last of my batch so need to get some more going. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:49 PM »
I think you will really like it Don. It adds a slight sweet taste as the heat is slowly building.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline Pappymn

Napa Kimchi
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 06:38:25 PM »
Never tried kimchi......can anybody describe it to a person who has never had it?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »
Really hard to describe...I would say it is a kind of relish, but not sweet like we think of relishes here....More savory. Nice variety of textures,  and some heat....Like it a lot!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Online Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 07:42:31 PM »
Never tried kimchi......can anybody describe it to a person who has never had it?
It has a similar texture and made almost the same as Sauerkraut But kimchi uses Chinese cabbage, white radish, green onions, ginger, garlic and hot peppers. If I had a bowl of Sauerkraut and a bowl of kimchi sitting in front of me I would choose the Bowl of kimchi to eat. Its not vinegary like saurerkraut but takes on all its spices flavors. You need to try it pappy :)

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »
The best way to describe it will make you think twice before eating it. Kimchi is rotting fermented cabbage and a few other veggies. It stinks like rotten garbage. However if you can get past the smell. Kimchi is a crisp relish that if eaten by itself will bite you back with a vigorous assult on all of your senses. When eaten with rice or on a burger or pulled pork sammie. It will add a new depth of flavor that will challenge your mind to describe it. I believe they call that the Umami effect. In one the posts by myself or Smoking Don is the recipe. I highly suggest trying it one time.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »

I first tried it in Korea where they served it as a relish on the side with a steak. I tasted a little and dumped it on my steak! You love it or you hate it. Bored with slaw on pulled pork? Try it!
I put it in my otherwise boring sandwiches for lunch for a change.
I got a Smokin Don Meatloaf loaded with Kimche ready to cook tomorrow.
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:50 PM »
Here is the post I made with photos. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2660.0
Goood stuff! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:20:11 AM »
Here is the post I made with photos. http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2660.0
Goood stuff! Don
He even has the recipe in that thread 5-6 pounds is about 2 large heads of napa cabbage. Only suggestion I have is DO NOT use the wifes good Tupperware for this project! Just go buy a large gladware plastic container for the fermentation stage. Trust me your credit card will tnank me for this one.