Author Topic: Computer running slow. Any experience with online fixes?  (Read 1144 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Computer running slow. Any experience with online fixes?
« Reply #-1 on: July 19, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »
My computer is running really slow.  I checked for a short between the key board and the chair and that has not changed since the computer was new and working well.  I have a lap top and was wondering about these online fixing programs rather than taking it in to a shop for them to do.  Have y'all got any experience with these? I would prefer a free one but would be willing to pay if I can get IR2Dum's credit card number, expiration date, and security code.  What do y'all recommend?  I tried to take a video of the computer running slowly but it's so slow it won't take my pictures. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
 ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Computer running slow. Any experience with online fixes?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:53:38 AM »
As a computer tech, I will say, stay FAR AWAY from the online services. I cannot tell you how many PC's I've had to fix after they were "fixed" by one of them.

Stay away from the various fix-it software as well. They generally run in the background which only adds to the "running slow" problem.

Find a local shop with a good reputation and let them take care of you.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
For my Mac I use a program called Mackeeper.. seems to work well..
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:19:02 PM »
If you're a PC user, I recommend CCleaner.  It runs only on command and you can keep your registry shipshape as well as knock out a few other easy fixes for slow/balky computers.  It's not perfect but it's free, easy to use and reliable:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
I agree with Cliff. All the online cleaners can cause more problems than good. The free ones install all kinds of malware programs. Your better off with these guys...

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:49:42 PM »
I will note that CCleaner from Piriform was recommended to me by an IT director for a large college ... based on CNet's editor's reviews is also safe and malware free ...
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 05:47:53 PM »
I have not been around major technology for five years since I retired as a chief information officer. However, I do use 3 laptops and 1 big desktop located throughout our home where there is only the two of us. We are wireless connected on a secure AC network using AT&T Uverse and a Netgear 6300 and corresponding AC adapters running about 866 bps transfer from the router.

We have installed on each one of our machines a software product called Advanced System Care version 6.3 and have it installed for three years. It takes care of registry issues, malware, privacy issues, junk files and a whole raft of issues that can slow your machine down. It runs unattended every week and we make sure to do a power down and restart once a week These machines are all within 1 to 1 1/2 years old as we like to stay with the current technology. Take a look and if it suits you, then make a decision pro or con. I believe that you can get a trial copy.

You may want to also check your security/antivirus software to make sure that it is doing all that it can do for you.

Always something, isn't it.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2013, 06:04:19 PM »
I don't use any registry cleaners or any voodoo to clean up my computer and speed it up. I just go into add/delete and start looking for anything I didn't download or install or use or need. If I don't know what an item is, I google it for a better idea and decide if I really need it. You would be surprised how many items get downloaded and installed by accident and then slow down your computer. If deleting everything that is not necessary does not speed it up, I call muebe's two guys to come over and fix it.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2013, 08:41:22 PM »
I think Jack has you off to a good start. Run the disk clean up and then defragment your drive. But then again a pair of $200 running shoes and a Nike App may improve its running performance ;) JK M.U.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »
Let me dispell a few misconceptions (please remember, I work with this stuff on a daily basis).

A couple things about Defragging:  Unless you are defragging in Safe-Mode you are NOT really doing anything helpful (any programs running in the background during normal operation cannot be defragged, because they are in use). And Contrary to popular belief, unless you are installing/uninstalling a lot of programs, Defragging won't even help the situation.

As suggested, do the disk cleanup FIRST, then reboot into safe-mode, then run your defrag. This only needs to be done once every 6 months to a year MAXIMUM. Defragging too often is actually hard on your hard drive!

CCleaner is actually not a very good program as it leaves a lot of stuff behind.  A much better program for cleanup is "TFC" (Temp File Cleaner) by Oldtimer. It shuts down most programs running in the background first, then does its cleaning, which allows it to be much more thorough in what it can actually clean compared to CCleaner.  It can be downloaded free. Just search for "Oldtimer TFC" and you will find it.

Third Party Firewalls are actually notorious for slowing down PC's, and contrary to popular belief do NOT keep bugs out of your PC. They keep Hackers out.  Trend Micro Titanium Anti-Virus (the one without the firewall), is what I recommend and sell to my customers.  Get your PC behind a good router with a firewall and use the Firewall built into windows and your PC is safer and will run better/faster.

Microsoft Security Essentials is actually a pretty decent Anti-Virus program. A good anti-malware program that pairs with most anti-virus programs is MalwareBytes.

<><
Member #68

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 08:47:43 AM »
Cliff is on the money with Malwarebytes. The free version must be run manually but a weekly full scan with the program that is up-to-date will really help with keeping your computer malware and virus free.

Trend micro also makes a very good virus scanner for your windows system.

But no matter what you are using a wild virus or program will not be detected until it is identified. So people get viruses and then the virus program manufacturers update their software to catch it. So you need to be careful...

Do not open any e-mail attachments that you don't know who they came from or normally do not get one from the person who sent it.

E-mails with weird or missing subject lines can be suspect. Or strange links to a site you have never heard of. You can also right click on that link and check the properties to see where the link actually is going to take you if it is an embedded one.

If you suspect you might have a virus that is attaching files to your e-mails you can try e-mailing yourself and see what comes back. If there is an attachment or link to that e-mail you did not add then you got a virus!

Some websites will install malicious software onto your computer as soon as you get to them. Just by looking at a website you can get infected. Only go to trusted websites like LTBBQ ;)

Some of these viruses and malware programs will deactivate programs like Malwarebytes and Trendmicro or any other virus scanning program. They usually just corrupt the program so it will not update or even run. If this happens it is very likely that you have a virus.

Also viruses like Trojan horses can be a real problem to remove. They will embed themselves into system restore for windows. So you can scan and remove the virus but as soon as you reboot your computer it will come back. In this case you have to disable windows restore and do an online scan in safe mode to remove them. It is a pain and probably will require someone computer experienced like Dee to help you with this ;)

Do not store anything on your computer that you are afraid to never be able to recover again. Make sure to keep it backed up on the cloud, jump drive, external drive... All three is best. Redunency is the best policy.

And finally Windows users you must do the critical updates from Microsoft. These updates close holes in the software that have been discovered by hackers to corrupt your system. Of course Microsoft probably opens new ones with the updates but you need to keep these holes closed. Microsoft does a update release every Thursday so make sure you have automatic updates turned on or run Microsoft update every Thursday.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 09:49:23 AM »
Thank y'all for all your suggestions. 

One thing to keep  in mind is when you see me with a computer the image of a monkey making love to a football will immediately come to mind.

I think the best thing for me to do is what I do with my pickup and that is to take it to the shop when it ain't doing right.  If this thing had an odometer on it as my pickup does I could take it in every 3000 miles also.

Once again, thanks.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2013, 10:15:40 AM »
Giving full disclosure.......My wife and I use iMac's however we have used PC's in the past and due to our work we still have to use windows because some of our clients uploading programs only work with Windows or explorer browsers.  We are using VMware on the machines so that we can run Windows 7.  I have been using System Mechanic to tune the window based machines for years.  The computers run faster after a cleaning.  I have no idea if System Mechanic is doing what it says it is doing or if it is loading a bunch of crap on the machines or not.  I just know that the machines are recovering from a slow status and seem to be a teenager again. 

Hey TentHunteR do you know anything about System Mechanic?  It is not a free program but is very reasonable.  It is not a virus scanning program it just fixes things that slow the system down.  Your input is appreciated.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2013, 05:04:32 PM »
Quote from: Muebe
Also viruses like Trojan horses can be a real problem to remove.

That is an excellent point!  Some bugs are so bad that a system needs to be reloaded afterwards. Even when the Trojan is removed they still leave damage behind (corrupted files, etc.).

People often ask me why their antivirus program didn't stop a Trojan.  First, not all Trojans are viral; some are adware or other type of malicious software.  Second, remember, Trojans are called Trojans because they'e able to sneak into your computer undetected. You MUST run periodic scans to detect them properly.

One more tip about virus/malware removal that most folks are not aware of: Forget using System Restore if you have been infected! Yes, you read that correctly! Trojans have a nasty habit of replicating themselves to the restore file.

In fact to properly clean a trojan you must turn system restore OFF and delete any and ALL restore points if you have had a virus/malware. Remove the virus/malware. then After the virus/malware has been removed, you can turn system restore back on.

Which brings up another excellent point Mike made:
Quote from: Muebe
Do not store anything on your computer that you are afraid to never be able to recover again. Make sure to keep it backed up on the cloud, jump drive, external drive... All three is best. Redunency is the best policy.

Most excellent, two thumbs up advice right there! :)

Quote from: Sailor1
Hey TentHunteR do you know anything about System Mechanic?

Yes, as a general rule I don't recommend those types of programs. But then again I understand how to get in and adjust the system registry, etc.  It's OK for the average person AS LONG AS IT'S NOT RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND!

Monitoring programs running in the background can actually interrupt and corrupt systems files being installed by new programs or updates. The monitoring program is trying to watch for and stop changes being made to the system, and the new program is trying to make system changes. Which one is going to win? That's why you should ALWAYS disable your anti-virus type programs before installing new software or major updates.

System mechanic can do a better job at defragging than windows IN NORMAL MODE, but I still contend it doesn't and cannot do it properly while other programs are running in the background.  The files that are in use simply cannot be defragged, because they're in use (heh, makes sense doesn't it?).

Programs such as Registry Fix, Driver Fix, etc. are a horrible waste of money in my opinion. I've had to Fix too many computers   

If you are having major problems, take it to someone who truly knows what they're doing and let them handle it properly.
<><
Member #68