Author Topic: Hamburger Improvement  (Read 4308 times)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
Hamburger Improvement
« Reply #-1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »
I ain't really satisfied with how my hamburgers are turning out.  So, I'd like to hear from y'all some recipes and techniques on how y'all do your hamburgers.  Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Hamburger Improvement
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:27:35 AM »
Mix in some leftover pulled pork into the meat. It is really good!

Also a 50/50 of beef and sausage is a nice combination.

Or chop up some bacon and mix into the meat.

And Lipton onion soup mix is great when mixed into the ground meat ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 12:45:27 AM »
I like what muebe said, my old stanby is just 80-20 ground chuck, salt an pepper. I haven't done hamburgers yet but know I will like them done on the flat side of Grill Grates for some brown all over. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:01:25 AM »
Mmmm ... Lipton Onion Soup burgers ... reminds me of childhood.

While I don't have a stand-alone grinder, I have found that having my butcher grind it fresh for me (rather than the family packs from Kroger, etc.) makes a difference.  He advertises a "burger blend" that's a grind of 60/40 sirloin and oxtail.  He charges a premium but it's really good.  He does sell patties with bacon ground into it but I like the textural difference when semi-crispy bacon is on top of the hamburger patty.

If you're looking to mix things up from a taste perspective, I'll usually mix in garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, and a few dashes of Worcestershire into the mix when I make the patties and let them sit in the fridge a bit to firm up before cooking.  A cast-iron skillet is the best way I know to cook a burger; I've never liked grilled patties as I think they lose to much moisture.  Getting a good crust on the patties from searing is great for texture and goes really well on a pretzel bun or even a King's Hawaiian bun.

I know this isn't exactly novel but I really like the blend of meat I'm using for this and it's worth a slightly higher price, in my opinion.
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:43:08 AM »
Just some more of my thoughts on hamburgers. Like Joe says if you have a butcher close that has a lot of business you can get the best meat there. Grinding your own is better than buying from big chain groceries. For some great ideas go to our member Wing Commanders own blog Dr. Burger here
http://dr-burger.blogspot.de/ It's in German but has google translater.

I grew up in the 50's and a burger was plain, or with cheese, mustard, ketchup, mayo, lettuce, pickles or onions and that was about all the choices for toppings. Now the choices are endless. After I have tried one of those specialty burgers I sometimes think I just ate a hamburger salad and not a good ole hamburger or cheeseburger. Sometimes simple is better!

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 06:18:15 AM »

If you're looking to mix things up from a taste perspective, I'll usually mix in garlic powder, fresh ground black pepper, and a few dashes of Worcestershire into the mix when I make the patties and let them sit in the fridge a bit to firm up before cooking.  A cast-iron skillet is the best way I know to cook a burger; I've never liked grilled patties as I think they lose to much moisture.  Getting a good crust on the patties from searing is great for texture and goes really well on a pretzel bun or even a King's Hawaiian bun.

I do that.  Mix garlic powder, pepper, maybe some lawry's, and some of your fav bbq sauce.  let sit and wife and kids love them. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
50% ground brisket flat to either 80/20 chuck or sirloin.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:29:57 AM »
Dee, there is a Red Robin on Washington Rd with the best burger I've ever had....well, besides Deb's.
You saw her mix up the fresh ground beef that you did with dry ranch dressing mix. I don't know if she used anything else but salt and pepper.
They turned out...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
See now you guys got me thinking. Does a burger patty have to be ground? How about stripping out a rib-eye and rolling it with bacon in between like this...

Now in that picture I used pork but this could be done with steak. I did it before with a porterhouse and man was it good. Just did not make a burger out of it. I think it would make one fantastic burger!
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 08:31:48 AM »
And of course my favorite fast food burger is from In-N-Out. Double Double Animal Style. They grill the patty on a flattop topped with onions grilled in mustard....

Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:06 AM »
If your a Bleu cheese fan maybe throw some crumbles into the ground beef. I've even put blueberry's in my burgers before and surprisingly good.

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
I found the last time I made burgers was its in the mix. Add what ever ingredients you want but don't over mix the hamburger into mush.

I also add an egg or two and breadcrumbs as a binder.

And the flipped over GG's worked very well
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Pappymn

Hamburger Improvement
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »
I found the last time I made burgers was its in the mix. Add what ever ingredients you want but don't over mix the hamburger into mush.

I also add an egg or two and breadcrumbs as a binder.

And the flipped over GG's worked very well

Your Mak is as dirty as mine ;)
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Pappymn

Hamburger Improvement
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 11:25:36 AM »
I add Worcester sauce and diced onions to my ground beef, which I now grind myself with a course grind.....and lots of fat.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2013, 11:50:55 AM »
Chopped onions, ground pepper, crumbled blue cheese.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion