Author Topic: Hamburger Improvement  (Read 4309 times)

Offline Tinnmel

• Portsmouth, VA
Re: Hamburger Improvement
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2013, 12:09:01 PM »
Old Dave did a post on his State Fair pork burgers.  I made some up, but didn't use the onion soup mix and I added in some Tone's signature beef seasoning.  They were so good that I don't think I'll go back to beef burgers. 
The pork that I used, I ground from a butt.

Offline Sandman

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
One of the best burgers I ever made was ground brisket with salt, pepper, and fresh pressed garlic.

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 01:46:10 PM »
Top your burger with some kimchi. You as ont need any other condiments and your burger will extremely flavorful
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 07:43:14 PM »
Thanks for all the ideas.

I think one thing I'll do is grind my own some.  I don't have a grinder, unless it's hidden around here somewhere.  I think it may work in a food processor if I'm careful not to over process.

My wife keeps wanting me to add some oatmeal as a binder.

I've put bacon in there before and it was great.  Just have not done it in awhile.  I've used panchetta and boy that was good.

As far as kimchi goes, I ate a lot of it when I was in Korea.  There are over 100 types of winter kimchi alone.  Some of that stuff will smoke you big time.

I've made sausage burgers using sausage rather than beef and those were good.  Problem there is the wife doesn't like pork that much...except the butt like I did today...and ribs of course.

My daughter gave me something from Williams-Sonoma that goes in ground beef that made a good burger. 

I also think I over work the meat sometime in order to get it to stick together and not fall apart.  Ain't sure why my hamburger making has gone down but I think y'all have helped me get it back on track.

Thanks, Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2013, 07:50:20 PM »
I am a little late to the party, but my burgers have improved since I started buying the frozen Wal-Mart patties  ;)  Those little 80/20's are goooood  :)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
Hamburger Improvement
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2013, 07:55:12 PM »
80/20 chuck, salt and pepper in the PBC

Mike
Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
Here is one I love to make

Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:29 AM »
Those look good Tommy. Do you indirect em first and then grill em up to crisp the bacon??
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2013, 08:29:35 PM »
Those look good Tommy. Do you indirect em first and then grill em up to crisp the bacon??
Big Easy!  Is there another cooker?   :D :D

I use my burger basket down inside the Big Easy to cook them.  I'll look for a picture
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »
Here is one I love to make

Tommy, I like your hamburger patty fatty. Is that just beef or is it a mixture of beef and pork?

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2013, 08:15:46 AM »
You could even stuff the patties with cheese and more bacon... :-*
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 08:47:53 AM »
The Best way to IMPROVE the burger is to IMPROVE THE COOK!!

Sorry Dee just couldn't resist

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 09:36:48 AM »
Chris,  When I used to have some authority and would have a problem in my unit I would employed what I called the "concentric circle problem solving method".  I would start looking for the solution to the problem starting at my desk and going in ever widening concentric circles until I found the cause  of the problem  and then I would set about solving it.  Well, most of the time I never got out of the first circle and I believe that may be the situation with my hamburgers.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 01:53:21 PM »
Therefore this is a recurring problem that you have encountered.  Thusfor I shall refrain from further comments

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »
I like what muebe said, my old stanby is just 80-20 ground chuck, salt an pepper. I haven't done hamburgers yet but know I will like them done on the flat side of Grill Grates for some brown all over. Don
I did my burgers last week on the flat side of my GG and I really liked the results. Be careful though, man, those things cook in about half the time, which is due to the surface to meat contact. My wife said they were better than the burgers I've been cooking lately...not as dry. 80/20 1/3#ers on the Infrared Quantum, about 2.5 minutes per side. Next time (coming up soon) I'm turning the temp down on the Quantum once the GGs heat up.
This is a great topic, I've gotten lots of great ideas to add some variety to my burgers...Thanks Gang!
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas