Author Topic: Inexpensive way to get good ground meat for burgers  (Read 1486 times)

Offline pz

Inexpensive way to get good ground meat for burgers
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:05:30 PM »
While grinding meats for burgers is nothing new, this is what I have come up with for an economical but very tasty substitute for the 20% fat beef chubs available in the grocery stores.  In our area, we pay typically $3.99/lb for burger, which is more expensive than some steak!

Click to zoom

The ground blend costs less than ground beef and contains bacon (purchased on sale @$2.99/lb), petit sirloin ($2.49/lb), and pork loin ($2.99/lb).  Here's my general setup - I use a grinding attachment on my wife's stand mixer.

Trimmed pork loin at the left, petit sirloin on the right, and bacon up top.  The spices I use are at the top of the image, and the sage at the far right came from our garden.  I purchased each of the meats for less than $3 per pound, ant that is about a dollar less than the price for ground beef in the grocery store.

Burgers are grillin' (my wife hardly lets me use her grill, and this was no exception - she's off camera to the left)

Finished patties - tender and moist ( we do not manipulate nor press the ground meat very much).  Sometimes we stuff them with blue cheese.

I like to slop all kinds of things on my burgers - a habit left over from when I was a kid in Ohio, and a dollar bought me 4 hot dogs and permission to put as much condiment as I could on them (I was a hungry kid with not much money)

Tender and juicy; you can taste the bacon, pork and steak all melding in your mouth in a perfect harmony of balanced flavors (yeah, I know... how can you tell with all that mustard and catsup!)  However, if you have not tried fresh sage in your ground meat, you might consider it - the herbal notes are like nothing else in a burger.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 07:07:40 PM by pz »

Offline Pappymn

Inexpensive way to get good ground meat for burgers
« on: August 08, 2013, 07:18:13 PM »
Pow! I just started grinding my own meat. No plans to go back.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline pz

Re: Inexpensive way to get good ground meat for burgers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »
Pow! I just started grinding my own meat. No plans to go back.

The other thing is that for anyone that like more pink in their ground meat, it is way safer when you grind it yourself and it is fresh.  I love to eat raw meats (sashimi is a favorite of mine), and my mother raised me from a baby on fresh steak tartare, but I will typically order my burgers on the well done side if I do not know the quality of the meat due to potential contamination reasons.

a man after my own heart
I am always trying to find a deal on meats
anything under $4# is always my goal

Absolutely I typically wait until the price of beef round roasts are close to $2/lb before I make jerky

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
Great idea to save some money and make some great tasting burgers!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 04:32:42 AM »
Sounds delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 08:17:12 AM »
I make meatloaf burgers. Almost the same thing with the extras. makes a mighty fine greasy cheeseburger tho. Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 01:50:41 PM »
That's a good idea, Pam

My wife loves meatloaf, and she convinced me the same - she likes to use oatmeal instead of breadcrumbs, which makes the texture more like ground beef.