Author Topic: ZESTY Pimento Cheese  (Read 782 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
ZESTY Pimento Cheese
« Reply #-1 on: August 08, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »
I am a big fan of pimento cheese. I like it very much on Triscuit crackers. My wife introduced this to me a long time ago and I became a fan. You can spread it on tortillas and roll it up and make appetizers for guests by slicing little roll ups from the tortilla as well as many other nice uses.

So, I learned how to make it myself. Well, I just can't eat plain old ordinary mundane food. My food has to be able to send a message to me that this indeed "yum". So when I make food, it all has an overt recognizable flavor which cannot be missed. I am thankful that my wife shares similar tastes.

This is my recipe for home made pimento cheese that you can modify in either direction to satisfy your palate.

1 lb. of shredded or grated cheddar cheese. I use extra sharp.
1/2 lb. of shredded or grated pepper jack cheese.
1 (4 ounce) jar of diced pimentos.
1 TSP of granulated garlic.
1 TSP of onion powder.
1 TBS of freshly ground black pepper.
1 TBS of chili powder.
1 TBS of cayenne pepper.
1 TSP of Cummin.
4 finely chopped jalapeno peppers - this is where I use a cusinart.
4 finely chopped fresno peppers
1 TBS of W.O.W. from Savor Spices.
2/3 rds cup of mayonnaise - light or regular.

Optional - one and I mean only one tiny habanero pepper finely chopped. I do not recommend this nor assume any responsibility if you use this pepper. You also could use a serrano pepper in lieu of the habanero. The same criteria apply.

Plan on mixing this by hand with a large spoon for 30 minutes until you have a nice smooth mixture. Chill and it is ready to serve any way you like.

If you let it sit in the refrigerator for 24 hours to give the mixture a chance to blend the flavors, it will taste even better.

Now, this mixture will last for us in the refrigerator for a number of weeks but this is the way we do it. If any of you remember the canning process that your Moms employed, that is exactly what I do. You can use either Kerr or Ball large mouth 1 pint canning jars with the appropriate lid. I usually boil 3 in a large pot of water including the separated lids for 30 minutes to make sure that the jars and lids are sterile. Use a good pair of steel tongs to move them into the boiling water and from the boiling water including the lids. I usually sterilize a serving spoon as well. Use the serving spoon to fill each jar to the top careful to not getting the cheese mixture on the top of the lid of the jar. Place the lid on the jar with the tongs and hand tighten the lid. Put the jars in the refrigerator when done. The yield is about 2 1/2 pint jars of pimento cheese.

Here is a picture of one of the jars.

If you don't like it "zesty", then take out the cayenne pepper.

I hope that you will enjoy this.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: ZESTY Pimento Cheese
« on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »
What a great sounding recipe Ed! Thanks for sharing this one.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 01:51:27 PM »
That does look delicious; my wife and I like to have pimento cheese sandwiches, and this spicy version sounds delicious  ;)

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 02:29:19 PM »
I LOVE pimento cheese and your recipe  ;D

I'll confess to being lazy, though.  I buy the premium kind at the store then add my stuff to it  ::)

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 03:34:14 PM »
You forgot one item!  SUPER PIG BACON!!!  I dice up some SP Bacon and add it to the recipe that I normally make.  It brings pimento cheese to a new level.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:05:41 PM »
I'm the only one in my family that like pimento cheese. This is great - I can scale it to make enough for me with no waste. It sounds great. Thanks for sharing.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:47 PM »
I LOVE pimento cheese and your recipe  ;D

I'll confess to being lazy, though.  I buy the premium kind at the store then add my stuff to it  ::)

Hub

+1 for lazines.  :D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:50:57 PM »
The only Pimento cheese I ever had comes in those little jars my mom turned into orange juice glasses when I was a kid, we had a set of twelve but I don't remember much eatin the cheese ;) That looks like a darned good recipe and Thanks for sharing. Gonna send this thread to Mom ;)