Author Topic: Living with wildlife in north Idaho  (Read 1451 times)

Offline pz

Living with wildlife in north Idaho
« Reply #-1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:04:19 AM »
These photographs are not that good, but considering the subjects and their closeness, the lack of quality is understandable.  However, the wildlife is recognizable

Click image to zoom, click again to dismiss

This black bear mom and her cub were making themselves at home on our side deck

Mom is in the back yard, while baby is still at the side of the house

Momma moose and her twins are in the back yard near the pizza oven

Double Mint gum anyone?

I sure am enjoying your groceries!

Gimme kisses!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Living with wildlife in north Idaho
« on: August 11, 2013, 02:09:19 AM »
Great shots. What a wonderful place to live!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 02:15:39 AM »
Thanks, and I think so too, but don't ask my wife - she had the fence guys come in and install 8-foot high deer fencing around most of the back yard - she is sick and tired of the deer and moose eating her garden  ;D

The fence is working nicely, but I was weed chopping yesterday and a moose was walking calmly up my driveway - she didn't even bat an eye that I was standing 30 feet from her as she trudged toward the back yard.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:17:33 AM by pz »

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 02:27:49 AM »
WOW, I didn't realize you had moose that far south of the Canadian border?  Are they migrating that way, or have they been there for many years? Be careful, don't trust them 'laid back' looking creatures... there are several stories from back in North Dakota and Montana (my home country) about people being mauled (sometimes fatally) by a moose.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2013, 02:38:06 AM »
Several years ago I was driving my sister from California to North Dakota. We were heading toward Island Park on the Henry's Fork late at night. I was driving and half asleep when we came on a huge moose standing in the road. I managed to stop the truck & trailer without crashing and we watched the moose walk off the side of the road.

We spent the night in Island Park - I did some fly fishing in Henry's Fork and we thought for awhile just to stay. An absolutely beautiful part of the world!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 02:42:41 AM »
WOW, I didn't realize you had moose that far south of the Canadian border?  Are they migrating that way, or have they been there for many years? Be careful, don't trust them 'laid back' looking creatures... there are several stories from back in North Dakota and Montana (my home country) about people being mauled (sometimes fatally) by a moose.

They've been here for as long as I have, which is a quarter century - however, they seem to be on the increase in recent years in our back yard.

I never trust a moose BigDon; although the pics look like I was right next to them, I was using a wide angle zoom lens.  My wife was born in Alaska when it was still a territory, and her father still lives there - the stories go that even a grizzly will not attack an angry bull.

KEWL !!
you've got a zoo in the backyard  ;D

It is kind of cool to see the rare wildlife - saw a gorgeous red fox a couple of weeks ago  ;)

Several years ago I was driving my sister from California to North Dakota. We were heading toward Island Park on the Henry's Fork late at night. I was driving and half asleep when we came on a huge moose standing in the road. I managed to stop the truck & trailer without crashing and we watched the moose walk off the side of the road.

They can be daunting creatures - when in a car, they tower above you.  If you accidentally ran into one, your car would merely sweep their legs from beneath them and you'd have a moose in your lap.  It is doubtful that you would survive such an encounter.

Offline Dakota Don

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 02:53:10 AM »
Several years ago I was driving my sister from California to North Dakota. I was driving and half asleep when we came on a huge moose standing in the road. I managed to stop the truck & trailer without crashing and we watched the moose walk off the side of the road.

Well Dave, I'm sure you realize that had you hit that moose it would have gotten up and walked away after the crash, as for you and your sister, maybe not.  :o :-\ :'(
An eighteen wheeler hit a moose North of Rugby, ND back when I was a teenager, it threw the truck in the ditch, driver was killed, and the moose limped off into the woods.  Makes you wonder what they are made of.  ???  But we sure are GLAD you woke in time and got stopped. Yes, staying awake when driving in the foothills of the Rockies is very challenging, unless you've had the chance to live in the area for at least 6 months to adjust to change in elevation.  I used to fight that a lot when DJing in Great Falls, Montana.
C.B. BEESR
Masterbuilt Electric Smoker
C.B. 4 Burner Infrared - Natural Gas
Holland Grill - Natural Gas

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 09:21:33 AM »
That is wonderful. I am green with envy. What a wonderful place to live.

I inherited a place in NE New Mexico from my Dad who acquired this in 1930. It is a 5000 acre ranch contiguous to the Santa Fe National Forest. Hopefully, after I have hip replacement surgery, I plan on spending 4 to 6 months there every year.

I was standing in the field just looking at the land and admiring the peace and serenity of the whole environment when I turned around to walk back to my truck and I saw this big fellow staring me in the face about six feet away from me. He was a 1200 pounder for sure. I backed away, took his picture and we both nodded at each other and I drove off.

This is self sustaining land as I lease it for cattle grazing and hay production. The State has been after me to sell it, but I will not do this. The wild horses roam this property and they just want to kill them. Besides, there is natural gas under this property. When the anti fossil fuel people are driven from power, then the drilling can begin and it will still be a safe home for the animals.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline mikecorn.1

• Richwood, Texas
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 09:37:34 AM »
great pics, I would post some pics of my place but you would just be looking at my back yard fence and the street in the front. Wildlife consists of birds and the occasional dog being walked by neighbors.  ;) :D ;D :'(
MIKE
Bradley DBS4 (dual 500w, fan)
Charbroil SRG
Pit Barrel Cooker
New Braunfels Hondo Smoker

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 09:49:47 AM »
Great Pictures!! Thanks for sharing :)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 10:15:03 AM »
Great photos pz and Ed!!! Thanks for sharing, love the wild life. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
 ??? :o ??? :o ???  ??? :o ??? :o ???  ??? :o ??? :o ???  ??? :o ??? :o ???

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
Great pics.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 12:33:57 PM »
I didn't know cougars could be so cuddly...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 12:57:41 PM »
Dang, Ed, I'm the one green with envy!  What a fantastic place you have, and it sounds like you're managing it very nicely

I don't have pics of cougar, but I saw some very large cat footprints in the snow at the end of my driveway last winter - they were spaced at approximately 8-10 feet apart.  Evidently this cat uses our private road for his ingress/egress - he/she must know something about easements  ;D