Author Topic: Just waht is Umami?  (Read 1138 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Just waht is Umami?
« Reply #-1 on: August 14, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
Umami is now recognized as one of 5 basic food flavors along with sweet, sour, bitter and salty. Dr. Ikeda from Japan first recognized this taste in 1908. The simple definition of Umami is glutamates and is imparted by foods high in glutamates. It gives a savory taste. Some of the foods that are high in glutamates are tomatoes, anchovies, mushrooms and soy sauce. Chefs and cooks combine it with some or all of the other flavors to get a taste they are looking for. Asians use MSG a lot for the Umami flavor to enhance their foods.

I just started to get interested in the taste to enhance steaks. If anyone else has played with this flavor please chime in; I am not very good at describing tastes and not the best writer. I had read some where they used mushroom powder a lot to enhance steaks. I looked through the different Umami seasonings at Amazon and settled on Taste # 5’s Umami Dust. The ingredients, tomato powder, lemon peel, anchovy powder, (anchovy salt), spices, natural lemon flavor, balsamic vinegar and porcini mushroom powder all sounded good to me. It was $10 for a 2.25 oz. shaker; pretty expensive, but I suspect about $6 was for the free shipping!

When I got it and did a taste test my first thought was Wow I think I may have the best steak seasoning I ever tried. I had some nice thick sirloin steaks to try it on. My son was the first to try it, doing one on my gas Weber Q100. He put it on just before cooking and did the steak 4 min. per side. He said the steak was great but you may want to put the seasoning on early and let marinade for a while.

I got my steaks ready,  seasoned heavy with the Umami dust and let set for a half hour before doing on my pellet smoker using grill grates. The steaks were beautiful and tender; but somewhere they had lost the flavor I thought I would get, it was pretty subtle.

Thinking back I think I remember when using mushroom powder it is best to add it near the end of cooking. I think I will use what I have left of the seasoning on steaks seasoned with salt and pepper and then add the Umami Dust when I let them rest. I think the Umami flavor is best used to enhance rather than a seasoning on its own. I would like to use just a mushroom powder for steaks and see how that works too.
Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Just waht is Umami?
« on: August 14, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
I try to define Umami as earthy, savory "slow-cooked" flavors that really connect the other four taste groups.

When something is missing Umami - it may be described as "thin" tasting. Umami gives food that "well rounded mouth feel" engaging the entire palate in conjunction and in a supportive manner to the other 4 tastes.

Fish sauce - in very small amounts - can also be a secret for you to use when a dish that should be very savory...just isn't. Beef bouillon is also useful for hearty, slow cooked tastes.

T
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
Umami taste buds were only recently discovered (within the last decade or so - can't recall exactly), the reason being is that they are at the back of the tongue, and the beginning of the pharynx (throat).  As Smokin Don reported, these buds are activated by the glutamates (one of the 20 or so amini acids that are used to build protein).  I'm sure everyone has heard of MSG (mono sodium glutamate) which is the principle ingredient in Accent.  The cheapest way to activate those good 'ol umami buds is to purchase a cheap bottle of Accent (of course, for those that are not sensitive to MSG)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
aged and fermented foods also seem to be connected to the Umami sensing buds....Perhaps because there are glutimates of various kinds that are naturally occurring in a variety of foods.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:14:20 PM »
Worcestershire sauce often figures in as a "secret ingredient" in many recipes. While it is a wonderful sauce, the key ingredient that hits the umami points is anchovy. Adding some anchovy, anchovy sauce, anchovy paste (I like this one), fish sauce, etc. helps hit that note.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:08 PM »
...Perhaps because there are glutimates of various kinds that are naturally occurring in a variety of foods.

Exactly; glutamates are in everything that contains protein - glutamic acid (glutamate) is one of the 20 amino acids used to build all protein structure.  Think of a protein as a word, and the amino acids are letters used to spell that word.  In the simplest sense, proteins are like a string of pearls, with each pearl being an amino acid.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 06:02:50 AM »
What is umami?... a marketing scheme (IMHO of course)!  ;)
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 07:24:41 AM »
Glutamates are what tell your brain that something is "savory" or in other words edible. We as humans are hard wired to detect glutamates to tell us that something we consume is food.

And IMHO I believe that peas and brussel sprouts do not contain any glutamates and were never intended by nature for human consumption but some crazy person long ago decided to eat them and tell everyone they are "food" 8)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »
I think that Heston Blumenthal explains umami the best way and it is from minute 2.20 on this video .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 07:53:52 AM »
This is an interesting and informative piece on umami and brisket by Harry Soo.  It introduced me to Maggi Seasoning, a staple in my home now.
http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/08/slapilicious-umami-brisket/
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:44:07 AM »
I think that Heston Blumenthal explains umami the best way and it is from minute 2.20 on this video .

Great video - breaks my 3 minute rule - but was well worth watching! I'm going to make some mushroom ketchup. I'm also going to make the steak & salad!

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 10:12:26 AM »

Great video - breaks my 3 minute rule - but was well worth watching! I'm going to make some mushroom ketchup. I'm also going to make the steak & salad!

That was a good video Ahron , TFS
David I'll be lookin for that steak! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/