Author Topic: My favorite Potato Salad Recipe  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
My favorite Potato Salad Recipe
« Reply #-1 on: August 16, 2013, 08:15:51 AM »
Justin Wilsons Picnic Potato Salad

10 lbs. potatoes                                             1 cup finely chopped celery
8 or 7 hard boiled eggs                                 1 cup finely chopped parsley
2 cups dill relish                                            1 ½ pints mayonnaise
1 cup sweet relish                                          ½ cup yellow mustard
2 cups salad olives chopped                          Salt & pepper to taste
2 cups finely chopped onions                        Louisiana hot sauce to taste

Boil potatoes in their jackets, then peel & cut in chunks. Mix mayonnaise, mustard, salt & pepper and hot sauce. Add to potatoes along with the rest of the ingredients & mix well. You can make this the day before & refrigerate overnight. If too dry add more dressing. Recipe is easy to cut in half or a fourth & I find it easier to peel the potatoes, cut in desired size then boil until just soft.

Serves 8 Cajuns or 24 other people for a good picnic.

Note: Any kind of potatoes can be used and some like to leave the skins on. I don’t like it so dilly so I use one cup of each, sweet and dill, for the 10 lbs. I usually just do a fourth of this and translate the mayonnaise to a heaping 1/3 cup. I use Hellman’s mayonnaise.
I also like to add some chopped green onion or fresh chives.

My adaption for 2.5 pounds of Justin Wilson’s picnic potato salad
Serves 6 to 8
2 ½ lbs. potatoes                                           3 celery stalks, small chop                                       
3 hardboiled eggs, chopped                          ¼ cup parsley, fine chop
1/3 cup dill pickle relish                               ¾ cup mayonnaise
¼ cup sweet pickle relish                             1/8 cup yellow mustard
½ cup salad olives (optional)                        salt and pepper to taste
½ cup sweet onion, small chop                    hot sauce to taste
3 or 4 green onions sliced thin

Note: I like the potatoes about ½ to ¾ inch uneven dice. I can get this by holding the potato in my hand to do the dicing. According to the size of potato make 2 to 3 slices lengthwise then 2 or 3 slices 90 deg. opposite. You will be holding fat French fries. Then work it out the end of your hand and cut off the squares. I have never cut my hand but do this at your own risk!

I like the potatoes done but firm enough they don’t fall apart when mixing. Cover the potatoes with water and cook on high, when you start to see the water boil turn the heat down to med. high; cook for 10 minutes and check for fork tender, should not take over 15 minutes. You need a colander that will fit over the pan you cooked them in. Drain the potatoes in the colander then place the colander and potatoes over the pan and set on a cool part of the stove; cover with a clean dish towel and let set for 10 to 15 minutes before mixing up the salad.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 08:34:24 AM by Smokin Don »
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline Ka Honu

Re: My favorite Potato Salad Recipe
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:48:44 AM »
I dearly love Justin Wilson but I think Potato salad should not be sweet and don't like relish in much of anything.  The best Creole or Cajun potato salad I've found is at this link.  I use Zatarain's mustard and it's excellent.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: My favorite Potato Salad Recipe
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:28:35 PM »
I dearly love Justin Wilson but I think Potato salad should not be sweet and don't like relish in much of anything.  The best Creole or Cajun potato salad I've found is at this link.  I use Zatarain's mustard and it's excellent.
To me it's not sweet, the sour from the dill relish and olives offsets the sweet. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/