Author Topic: Home brew Sous Vide controller parts list and instructions  (Read 2198 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Home brew Sous Vide controller parts list and instructions
« Reply #-1 on: August 24, 2013, 07:41:38 PM »
Update 8/29/31: the SL-2372 failed on me with a large crockpot with a 375w rating so I now suggest you get the PID with the mechanical relay that can handle 10 amps...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

No SSR is required for this PID. Sorry for the confusion...

Here is a parts lists for my home brew Sous Vide

For those of you using a very large vessel with a large heating element might want to get this controller with an external SSR & heatsink. Check the wattage rating on your cooker...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=3

And a 25A SSR...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_30&products_id=9

And right now I am using a regular oven/grill thermocouple that is not water tight. This would be the temp sensor you want to get for your PID. It is a RTD that is water immersible. I plan on buying one for my controller...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=20_15&products_id=46

Now there is a selection of project boxes available to house your controller. I used a old power supply case for a computer I had laying around. Here is a link to their selection of project boxes...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_34

Now as far as wiring I took a extension cord and used the receptacle end for the cooker to plug into and wired the hot side to the SSR on the controller and neutral tied into the neutral power connection at the controller. The plug end of the extension cord supplies power to the controller. There is a wiring diagram that comes with the controller instructions that shows how to control the load directly with the internal relay. That is the diagram you will need to follow...

The load side of the receptacle will wire to number 6 and the neutral side of the receptacle will wire to number 10. This way the SSR will switch the load side to the receptacle on and off.

The load side of the plug will wire to number 9 and the neutral side will wire to number 10.

Then you will need to loop a wire from number 9 to number 7.

If you use the RTD senso the SN setting on the controller will need to be changed. The pt100 RTD setting number is 21.

The T setting on the controller will need to be set to 2

And the OUTL setting will be at 0

Then run a auto-tune and the controller will learn how your cooking device heats and responds. Then when the auto-tune is finished it will save the settings for that cooker.

If you change cooking devices just re-run an auto-tune.

Now about the cooking vessel. Well pretty much any electric slow cooker, rice cooker, electric roaster, electric fryer, etc can be used but it must not be digitally controlled. One without a thermostat is best. The one I am using just has low, high and off. And always use in the high setting.

I have read that the rice cookers provide the most even heating and are preferred. Crock pots come in second. And the cooking vessel should have a lid to keep moisture and heat in but is not required. You will need to fill up with water more often if there is not a lid available.

Let me know if you have any questions.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:34:53 AM by muebe »
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Ka Honu

I could seriously damage my house and everything in it with all that stuff (which looks pretty much like the parts list for a Claymore mine) but I doubt I could make it into a cooking system.  Guess I'll wait for muebe to vacation in Hawaii and bring me one or for the Sansaire to show up in December.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Home brew Sous Vide controller parts list and instructions
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 10:15:31 AM »
I need to read the whole subject, saw Home Brew and just clicked on it. That is too much for my old brain to process. You made my head hurt.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:17:19 AM by TwoPockets »
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »
My head hurts.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »
So here are some pics of my completed home brew Sous Vide controller.

View of the front panel. PID controller and I added a power switch. The front plug is where the power goes in with a computer cable. Thermocouple wire comes out the front. I did order the immersible RTD and will remove the thermocouple and install it when it arrives from Auberins...

And the view of the back panel. This is where the cooker plugs into to be controlled by the PID...

Switched on with SV(set temp ) at 132F and PV(measured temp) at 112F...

I just ordered a 7 quart crock pot from Amazon to use for large cuts of meat ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 07:29:10 PM »
That's a lot of work and a great post, thank you
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.