FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Pics: first 3 cooks on the PBC. And requesting help for low elevation cook times

(1/5) > >>

pavlaugh:
Really liking the PBC after the first 3 cooks.  I think I need to get the timing a little better for low elevation, but overall it the food was great.

First Cook: Chicken

Split, seasoned, hooked.

Two hours later, tasted great but was a little drier than I expected.  I think I should have had the vent closed more for the 1/4-open recommended by PBC.

Second Cook: Baby Back Ribs

Seasoned and hooked.

I may have overcooked it because it was falling off the bones.  But these tasted great!

While the ribs were resting, I threw some Brussels sprouts on the grate.  They turned out nice and crispy, cooked through.

Third Cook: Tri-Tip (or what the Kroger butcher said was tri-tip)

This was my first time eating tri-tip as far as I know.  It was pretty impressive.  Will definitely be making it again.

I'm sold on this thing.  It's pretty idiot-proof, and I'm sure will only get better the more cooks I do.

Can anyone recommend cooking times at low elevation (Houston, TX)?  I think I overcooked all three items.  I cooked the chicken to the correct internal temp, but I think my vent was open too much for it -- the temp in the cooker was blazing hot at first (still at 450* after an hour).  I closed it as much as possible for the second and third cooks.

sliding_billy:
Looks good.  I can't speak to the cooker as I don't have one, but I can vouch for trying to control temps in Texas being difficult.

LostArrow:
It's always easy to pull things a little early & if not done put back on.

muebe:
My PBC runs between 280F to 310F depending on the load of charcoal. I am at around 2600Ft and have not touched the air vent. I assume their times are for around those temps so you will need to adjust it and check with a thermometer until you get around those temps.

Then as long as the charcoal load is the same every time you should get very consistent results.

CDN Smoker:
With BBQ there is really no mistakes you can't eat. You cooks look great to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version