Author Topic: Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin  (Read 6334 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Sous Vide Pork Tenderloin
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 11:36:11 PM »
Very nice cook, muebe! I look forward to learning more about sous vide.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2013, 11:52:09 PM »
I Like it!! looks really good and never thought of doing pork S.V. Never noticed how much W.C.T. you made until now ;) Nice job Michael!!

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2013, 12:00:06 AM »
That meat looks great - I don't think I've seen pork loin that juicy.

The ceramic knife is really nice too - I've a small one that I use only for sashimi

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2013, 12:27:29 AM »
Thanks guys!

I found out why my temp was climbing however. My PID was stuck on due to a failed SSR. It failed due to the crock pot I just bought was drawing too many amps for the little guy to handle :'(

So anyone who is looking to do this home brew version should get the PID with the mechanical relay...

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=1

It can handle up to 10 amps.

So I decided I like Sous Vide so much that I ordered one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1377836780&sr=1-1&keywords=dorkfood+dsv+temperature+controller+for+sous-vide

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »
Because I do not know, I would like o ask this question. You have a lot of technology governing that process inside the crock pot.

I have a crock pot. If I filled it with water, set it a low, and vacuum sealed "meat", would I be able to do this same thing with out the technology? The only thing that I would not know is the internal temperature of the meat if I want to keep the integrity of the bag sealed. Is this possible? How would I know how long to cook this? I could tell the temperature of the water using a thermapen and assume that what is inside the bag, inside the water, will not get any higher than the water temperature. Is that a bad assumption?

Thank you,

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2013, 04:05:05 AM »
Great looking cook!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2013, 06:28:33 AM »
beautiful plate you got there. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 07:28:29 AM »
Because I do not know, I would like o ask this question. You have a lot of technology governing that process inside the crock pot.

I have a crock pot. If I filled it with water, set it a low, and vacuum sealed "meat", would I be able to do this same thing with out the technology? The only thing that I would not know is the internal temperature of the meat if I want to keep the integrity of the bag sealed. Is this possible? How would I know how long to cook this? I could tell the temperature of the water using a thermapen and assume that what is inside the bag, inside the water, will not get any higher than the water temperature. Is that a bad assumption?

Thank you,

Ed

Ed the key to proper Sous Vide cooking is precision temperature over a long period of time. The reason why you can cook at these low temps(130F to 150F) safely is because you are using contact temperature and not air temperature. For example if you put your arm in a 210F oven for a few seconds you will feel the heat but not necessarily get burned. Now put your arm in 210F water for a few seconds and you will get different results!

So you could leave the crock pot on low but what actual temps would you be getting at that setting? You would need to test and find out what they are on your crock pot at that setting.

You can do Sous Vide on a stove top simply using a pot of water and your burner. You have to stay there and regulate the temps by adjusting the burner. It can be done that way. Kind of like tending the fire on your off-set right? 8) This would be very difficult to do for say a brisket that cooks at 130F for 48 hours however. But fish can be done in 20 minutes so no problem there.

You do not need to check the IT of the meat. Just monitor the water temperature. It is going to reach the temp of the water and will not go any higher. The meat can sit for many hours longer than the recommended cooking time and not overcook.

The cooking times I found on the web. There are many websites dedicated to Sous Vide cooking. A lot if great recipes for Sous Vide. There are also quite a few books available.

This new controller that I ordered from Amazon is a simple plug and play device that has great reviews. It is very inexpensive compared to what is out there so I will give it a try. There will be a review from me on it. Here is their website...

http://www.dorkfood.com/
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 08:03:58 AM »

Very cool!

DorkFood.  I love it......    :D

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
Very impressive cook man!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 08:16:07 AM »
Very intresting post, many thanks
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 12:28:14 PM »
muebe,

I'm looking forward to your review of the Dork Food controller. Unfortunately, I went "fancy" with my last crock pot - digital, so it won't work. If you give this a good review, I will pick up a manual crock pot and give it a try.

Thanks!

D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
muebe,

I'm looking forward to your review of the Dork Food controller. Unfortunately, I went "fancy" with my last crock pot - digital, so it won't work. If you give this a good review, I will pick up a manual crock pot and give it a try.

Thanks!

D
David..do you have one of them dork thingi's? Got me thinking about it now. I have about 8 crock pots..so I'm covered there. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2013, 12:38:03 PM »
muebe,

Thanks!

D
David..do you have one of them dork thingi's? Got me thinking about it now. I have about 8 crock pots..so I'm covered there. .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ

Pam,
No, I don't. I almost pulled the trigger but then read the FAQs - won't work with my digital crock pot. I'd buy another crock pot, but am running out of space (actually ran out some time ago!) So, I am waiting on muebe's review of the controller. If Mikey likes it, well I guess I'll have to do it...  ;) ;D ;D
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2013, 12:52:37 PM »
muebe,

Thanks!

D

It is being delivered today so I will put it through the paces tomorrow ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC