Author Topic: New England Clam Chowder  (Read 3216 times)

Offline pz

Re: New England Clam Chowder
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:09 AM »
That bowl looks delicious.  We typically have winter dishes that we prepare only during cold times, and clam chowder is one of them.  While I love New England chowder, I've never been to fond of Manhattan style.  In our New England chowder, we add a few dollops of sour cream to ever so slightly cut the dairy and give the soup a savory nature that we typically do not experience.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:52 AM »
I've got your recipe that you posted on the other forum.  I think it would be good for you to post it here for those unfortunate enough to not have had seen it.  Dee

yes please i am one of the UNFORTUNATE .

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Recipe: New England Clam Chowder
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »
New England Clam Chowder

The recipe for “New England” or “Boston” chowder uses prepackaged chopped clams. Fresh hard-shell or razor clams in equal quantities (two cups chopped clams and 1 1/2 cups clam juice) could be substituted if available. Do not use soft-shelled clams (steamers) for chowder. If you’re on a low-fat diet, this is probably not a good choice!

4 slices thick-sliced smoked bacon, finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
1 1/2 stalks celery, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced (about one teaspoon)
2 (16-ounce) containers chopped sea clams, drained, reserving liquid
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 to 4 cups bottled clam juice, as needed
2 cups diced Yukon Gold or Red Bliss potatoes
3/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, divided
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seafood Seasoning, or more to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, divided
1 1/2 cups half & half, light cream, heavy cream, clam juice or chicken stock (see notes)

In a 2 1/2-quart stock pot, render bacon over medium heat until cooked, about five minutes, being careful not to burn bacon or grease. (Or use 1/4 pound of diced salt pork. Salt pork is slab bacon that hasn’t been smoked.) Remove the bacon from the pot, drain on paper towels and reserve. Add the onion and celery to the pot and cook about six minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook until softened, about two minutes. Incorporate 1/4 teaspoon of the thyme and pepper into the mixture. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for two minutes, stirring.

Add enough clam juice to the reserved clam liquid to make four cups and add to the stock pot; stir well to combine with the roux. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for two minutes, stirring.

Add with potatoes and one tablespoon of the reserved lardons. (Add more clam juice if necessary.) Cook for eight to ten minutes or until the potatoes are barely tender. Season the chowder with black pepper, Old Bay, oregano and thyme.

(The recipe may be prepared to this point and held, refrigerated and covered, for two days. Reheat to a low boil before continuing.)

Add the chopped clams (one pound of prepackaged chopped clams will yield about 12 ounces of clams and 3/4 cup clam juice), reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for five minutes. Add enough half & half to achieve the desired consistency and return the chowder to a simmer. Do not let the chowder boil or the clams will become rubbery. Simmer until thoroughly warmed, about five minutes. Adjust seasonings as needed (you probably won’t need salt but perhaps more pepper and thyme).

Ladle the chowder into warmed serving bowls and dot with unsalted butter. Sprinkle some of the reserved lardons atop the chowder. Garnish with chopped chives or parsley, if desired.

Serve with a tossed salad and crusty bread (oyster crackers or Vermont common crackers are also frequently served with chowder in New England).

Yield: three 12-ounce servings.

Chef’s note: If you prefer thicker chowder, use heavy cream; for lighter chowder, use light cream. If you desire “Rhode Island” or “South County” chowder, omit dairy altogether and add an equal amount of clam juice or chicken stock. If you want “Manhattan-style” chowder also called Fulton Fish Market Chowder, this recipe is not for you (Manhattan-style chowder is actually illegal to serve in Maine and Massachusetts but no one obeys the law)!

If you substitute fresh kernel corn and Andouille sausage for the clams, you’ll have great corn chowder.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »
That recipe looks decadent. I will be making this when the weather turns cooler! I know this is probably going to get me in trouble, but I like a few dashes of hot sauce in my chowder bowl.

Than you for posting this!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »
thanks thanks thanks .
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »
Dr...

I usually put a healthy pinch of CRP in my chowder but I omitted it from this recipe for the faint of heart!!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2013, 06:08:03 PM »
Here's my Mom's recipe. It is very similar to yours with a variation on the theme.

Ed

My Mom’s New England Clam Chowder Recipe - Although my Mom was originally from Connecticut, this is really Albuquerque Chowder.

3-4 (8 oz) bottles clam juice (We really didn't have fresh clams as New Mexico didn't have any.)
2 lb potatoes, peeled, cut into small cubes
4 Tbsp butter
4 - 6 slices bacon, finely chopped
2 C chopped onions
1 1/4 C chopped celery (2 large stalks)
1 C corn
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 bay leaf
1/3 C all purpose flour
3 (6.5 oz) cans chopped clams, drained, juices reserved ( She substituted shrimp when available and fish when available.)
2 C half and half  ( She used real heavy cream)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce

Bring bottled clam juice and potatoes to boil in heavy large saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Melt butter in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until bacon begins to brown, about 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, garlic and bay leaf and sauté until vegetables soften, about 6 minutes. Stir in flour and cook 2 minutes (do not allow flour to brown). You are making a roux now.  Gradually whisk in reserved juices from clams. Add potato mixture, clams, half and half, and hot pepper sauce. Simmer chowder 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving.) Makes 4 (main course) servings.  Chowder should be thick.

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »
Same girl, different skirt <lol>.

I like that recipe!

But I only use corn for corn chowda not with clams!

Mike
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi

Offline hikerman

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2013, 08:29:34 AM »
Now that is a bowlful of wonderful Chef! Thank you for sharing, I have to make this when temps drop here. Close to 100F tomorrow.  ::)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2013, 02:08:14 PM »
Dr...

I usually put a healthy pinch of CRP in my chowder but I omitted it from this recipe for the faint of heart!!

Thanks, I feel better now...  ;) ;D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
That's a mighty fine looking bowl of chowder.

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Dr...

CRP???

Here's a flash-back generator—I keep thinking Combat Reconnaissance Platoon.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
Ok .
today i made for you my Version ,of clam chowder.
1kg clams
5 Carrots diced
5 Celery diced
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp B pepper
1/4 cumin
4 potatos diced
4 leeks diced
 oil
water
cream
milk
crackers .

first the stock.
fry the
1/2 onion
2 carrots
3 cloves of garlic
add 1/2 of the salt  the pepper and all the cumin .
as it is soften add the clams .
4 cups of water
allow to simmer till the clams opens.
strain the clams and keep the stock.

the soup

fry Slightly the rest of the Vegetables  .
add the stock .
the rest of the salt and pepper.
cook till the potatos are soft .
remove the clams meat from the clams and chop.
add the clams to the soup .
add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream .
let it simmer for few minutes .
serve it with few crackers .

thanks for all your help .

Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2013, 01:36:20 PM »
That looks great.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS