Author Topic: Easy crispy hash browns  (Read 6388 times)

Offline rexster314

Re: Easy crispy hash browns
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 02:19:35 PM »
Those dried hash browns are the greatest thing. They won't go bad and in the time it takes to make real ones, the dried ones can be reconstituted
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 02:40:49 PM »
CB posted that idea a few weeks ago... I haven't tried it yet.

I tried to do it with CBH... didn't work; the hash was too moist!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
What works for me is to get the potatoes as dry and starch free as possible from the start.
  • It using fresh potatoes, I wash the shredded potatoes to free them of residual starch, then dry them in paper towels - that allows them to brown nicely without burning
  • If using the Costco dried potatoes, then it is even simpler - rehydrate until soft, then dry in a colander, or on paper towels

Costco sells them in a 8 pack for about 6 bucks. You just open the top, fill with hot water, close the top, let sit for 10 minutes.

Interesting regional difference - the packaging I have available are large - 2.34 pounds, so I just pour what I need - typically will get a dozen or more servings for two

Offline Pappymn

Easy crispy hash browns
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »

What works for me is to get the potatoes as dry and starch free as possible from the start.
  • It using fresh potatoes, I wash the shredded potatoes to free them of residual starch, then dry them in paper towels - that allows them to brown nicely without burning
  • If using the Costco dried potatoes, then it is even simpler - rehydrate until soft, then dry in a colander, or on paper towels

Costco sells them in a 8 pack for about 6 bucks. You just open the top, fill with hot water, close the top, let sit for 10 minutes.

Interesting regional difference - the packaging I have available are large - 2.34 pounds, so I just pour what I need - typically will get a dozen or more servings for two

That is funny. Mine are like milk cartons from school. 4.2 ounces

Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »
Haven't tried the dried hash browns before.  I will look for them.  They would certainly be easier to store.

Art
I you ever had hash browns  at Denny's then you have had dehydrated hash browns ;) I used to be a grill flipper there :)

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 06:07:34 PM »
mmm that looks good. I am planning some hash browns for the girls as the weather cools. They are done on the waffle maker. I'll post when I do them.

But, this looks like a perfect breakfast!

I used your method, David - turned out great!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 07:26:31 PM »
mmm that looks good. I am planning some hash browns for the girls as the weather cools. They are done on the waffle maker. I'll post when I do them.

But, this looks like a perfect breakfast!

I used your method, David - turned out great!

Those are perfect pz! We did some this weekend along with pancake coated bacon - no pics - trying to get to softball tournament. Will do pictures next time. Yours look just right - delicious - maybe we'll stop by on the way to our next softball tournament!  Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »

Y'all are making me hungry for breakfast eats!!!!!     ;)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 08:43:57 PM »
I'll be trying that waffle iron hash brown trick soon , cool thanks guys!!!

Offline pz

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
Indeed!  David's method is really simple and makes perfect hash browns in a fraction of the time - browns both sides at the same time so it is a big time saver.  Plus the potatoes are really crisp, with almost no added oil - used Pam, so the low fat content pleased my ever vigilant sweetheart, who does not allow me to have too much fat.