Author Topic: Baking bread  (Read 4878 times)

Offline pz

Baking bread
« Reply #-1 on: September 08, 2013, 02:35:21 AM »
For lack of a better place to post, here is how we did bread this evening.

Here is one of two loaves ready to go into a 450F oven

Scoring the surface of the dough

The finished product - cooling and waiting to be eaten.  The crust is crackling as I write, and I can't wait to load one of these babies with some Bradley smoked cheese and Canadian bacon I'd prepared a few weeks ago.  Baking bread in a closed container is definitely the best way to go - we have never created thick, crusty, European-style bread with any other method.

Offline fishingbouchman

Re: Baking bread
« on: September 08, 2013, 04:40:25 AM »
fresh bread, SO GOOD.  can't wait to get in the house to start cooking again. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:33:49 AM »
this is an amazing good looking bread . did you do it in the pizza oven? if not you must try.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Pappymn

Baking bread
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Boy that looks great. Got a recipe?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
Great looking bread!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:43:43 PM »
pz - that bread looks great! Can I have a slice with some butter? Would you tell us how you made it?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 01:43:07 PM »
pz - that bread looks great! Can I have a slice with some butter? Would you tell us how you made it?
X2
As I jump in front of David for that 1st slice.....   ::)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:45:56 PM »
X2

Hey, I thought you were a patient bear...  ;) ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
Sure could have used some of that this weekend!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
X2

David, I guess I'm a bear FIRST!  lol       But if I get that first slice I'll share with you buddy!

Offline pz

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 01:50:14 AM »
Thanks for the comments, guys, but my wife Cheri deserves all the credit because she is the expert in dough in our family  ;)

Credit for the baking method goes to a baker from the UK.  A friend in Holland sent me the link to his YouTube video:

Cheri's dough
... is versatile - she uses it for bread, pizza crust, and naan

• 2 cups bread flour - however any kind will do
  • 1 teaspoon yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1.5 cups water - the amount is variable depending on the "feel" of the dough
Mix flour, salt, and yeast with the handle end of a wooden spoon.

Add water slowly and stir until the dough looks sticky.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until it doubles in volume (about 2-4 hours)

Scrape the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for a minute or so.  Now is when you add any additional ingredients such as herbs, cheese, etc.

Form into a ball and place into a generously floured tea towel and return to the bowl - ensure that the dough is loosely covered with the tea towel and let rise for another hour or two.

Place a Dutch oven into your oven and preheat to 450F
After preheating, dump the dough ball into the Dutch oven, make several slits in the surface of the dough ball and return the Dutch oven to the main oven - bake for 30 minutes

Crack the lid and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes depending on how dark you want the crust.

Here's what the crust sounds like when it is cooling - if you hear this, then your crust is perfect

If you want pizza crust, just use less water - the dough is simply not as sticky
For naan, omit the yeast - the unleavened bread is delicious with dips such as Sabra humus

Offline pz

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 01:53:45 AM »
this is an amazing good looking bread . did you do it in the pizza oven? if not you must try.
Thanks Ahron, we did not do it in the pizza oven mainly because we are doing the bread in the Dutch oven within the main oven.  That way the water in the bread itself is creating the steam to create the perfect crust - no water pan, nor spritz needed with this method.

It sounds like you have been successful doing bread in your wood-fired oven - how did you do it to create a crisp crust?

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
X2

David, I guess I'm a bear FIRST!  lol       But if I get that first slice I'll share with you buddy!

Gene, I NEVER argue with a bear. So, all I ask is you cover me while I go in for the second slice...  ;) ;D
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »
pz - Thanks for the recipe - it does seem pretty versatile. I've watched a couple of this guy's videos. They are fun and he looks like he knows what he's doing. I had saved that one for myself for when I have some time to try it out. Thanks for the "endorsement"!
Member #

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:09:23 PM »
pz - Thanks for the recipe - it does seem pretty versatile. I've watched a couple of this guy's videos. They are fun and he looks like he knows what he's doing. I had saved that one for myself for when I have some time to try it out. Thanks for the "endorsement"!
Same here PZ, thanks!