Author Topic: Baking bread  (Read 4879 times)

Offline pz

Re: Baking bread
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »
My pleasure, gents; just reporting the talents of others  :)

Offline hikerman

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 06:11:49 PM »
pz - that bread looks great! Can I have a slice with some butter? Would you tell us how you made it?
X2
As I jump in front of David for that 1st slice.....   ::)

Hey, I thought you were a patient bear...  ;) ;D

David, I guess I'm a bear FIRST!  lol       But if I get that first slice I'll share with you buddy!

Gene, I NEVER argue with a bear. So, all I ask is you cover me while I go in for the second slice...  ;) ;D
Got your back David! We could make quite a team.......roaming the countryside pillaging fresh bread!  ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 06:14:21 PM by hikerman »

Offline pz

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 02:32:15 AM »
My wife baked a loaf tonight because we were hungry, and I ran across this image from a prior bake while we were waiting for the current bread to be finished.  The current bread is laced with fresh thyme from the garden.

Add Bradley smoked Gouda to a slice of fresh baked bread and you have a delectable treat

Offline pz

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 03:01:27 AM »
Here's the series from tonight's bake

The dough, freshly prepared and ready to rise - notice that it looks a bit wet (intentionally so, because we want it to steam in the Dutch oven)

Cheri let the dough rise until it doubled in volume, about 2.5 hours (in a warm room)

Kneading the dough with fresh thyme from the garden

... almost ready to let rise for the second time (about an hour)

... after an hour rising

... dump into the 450F Dutch oven

Scoring quickly with the knife...

... and the finished product - extra crisp crust and moist and tender inside.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:03:06 AM by pz »

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 10:21:06 AM »
I can attest and confirm that this process really works. When I made my very first breads last week, I followed this process and the results were outstanding. Instead of thyme, I used Italian seasoning for that basil, and oregano flavor through out the loaf. It was really good. I toasted up some of the slices with pico de gallo (chopped tomato, onion, jalapeno pepper, lemon juice, salt and pepper) on top with a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese and it was good.

For a dutch oven, I used a cast iron deep skillet with a cast iron lid which I coat with olive oil. Works very nicely with an even browning all over.

Just follow PZ's directions. It is great!!!!

Ed
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 10:24:03 AM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »
Thanks, Ed; I can't take credit though.  A friend sent me a YouTube link to a baker in the UK, and I saw another almost identical recipe on the Bradley forum, so the technique must be relatively popular.  I can see why though, it results in the best bread my wife (or I) have ever made.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 02:22:19 PM »
Nice looking bread, pz! I like this process and I also enjoy adding spices / flavors to the bread. The end result looks fantastic - nice bake!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »
Thanks, David!  We added some of the Bradley smoked cheddar the last time we baked a loaf, and it turned out fantastic.  It is fun baking in different flavors, and in addition to herbs, I'd like to experiment with some of the dried chile powders I like to use in south-of-the-border dishes - maybe for spicy pulled pork sandwiches.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
Thanks, David!  We added some of the Bradley smoked cheddar the last time we baked a loaf, and it turned out fantastic.  It is fun baking in different flavors, and in addition to herbs, I'd like to experiment with some of the dried chile powders I like to use in south-of-the-border dishes - maybe for spicy pulled pork sandwiches.

Love a good cheese bread. But the chili powders sound very interesting. I've not tried or had anything like that - look forward to your report!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 03:23:35 PM »
Looks great! I did a couple of french style loafs on my Mak with the pizza stone the other night.. Now I'm hooked. Ordered a kitchenaid stand mixer yesterday.. let the games begin! I will post pics of my next batch.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 03:31:35 PM »
Looks great! I did a couple of french style loafs on my Mak with the pizza stone the other night.. Now I'm hooked. Ordered a kitchenaid stand mixer yesterday.. let the games begin! I will post pics of my next batch.

Between you and pz, I am getting back into making bread. It helps that weather is changing. I look forward to you posts and I'll start posting mine as well!
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 04:35:06 PM »
Cool; we three can start a bread of the month club and start sharing recipes and pics  ;)

We're really just in the beginning of our bread making adventures because it has only been since June that we've made what we consider good bread.  We can use all the ideas we can get  ;)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
Sounds like a good time! I used to make bread on a regular basis, many years ago. Then fell out of the habit. It's been a dozen years or more. I look forward to getting back into it. Thanks for the "nudge!"
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
My pleasure - works out great for me - sounds like I'll be able to benefit from your experiences!