Author Topic: German potato salad  (Read 1136 times)

Offline pz

German potato salad
« Reply #-1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:23:40 PM »
We love the clean acid flavor balancing the smoky, fatty pork in German potato salad.  We went to an Oktoberfest celebration yesterday and had this treat - we've not made it in a long time, so today it is.

Rendering the bacon - 1 pound, with fat drained except for a few tablespoons.  Added half a stick of butter.

About 10 Russets were diced, then boiled to al dente, then drained - the diced bacon and fat were added, then the mixture carefully folded.  Also caramelized a large onion, which was added to the mixture.  Added about a cup +/- until the acid was just right.  For variety, add a spoon of sour cream when plating for variety - sometimes we like the creaminess that dairy adds (that is also why we used butter)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: German potato salad
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:11 PM »
Oh Man, that sounds and looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing this, pz. I will be making it for the in-laws this week!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 11:32:21 PM »
Thanks David!  Quite often we forget some of the good food that we really enjoy until we are exposed to it again - a sign of old age I guess!

Realizing this, my sweetie and I talked about making two of our other favorites, New England clam chowder (made savory with sour cream to give it an extra zip), and beef stroganoff that we serve with sour cream and mayonnaise fortified mashed potatoes.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 11:38:54 PM »
Both sound great - but it has been years since I've had beef stroganoff. Your thoughts sound excellent. Please share the recipe when you make it? It is getting to that time of year. Thanks!
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 11:58:27 PM »
Definitely will share - although we members of the forum cannot often visit with one another in person, I feel that sharing experiences and photos is second best.  When I look at the photos of all the delicious food posted by members, I can almost taste the goodness, and appreciate seeing everyone's setups and equipment.  Plus the photos of people enjoying the food are always great, like at the recent gathering!

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:20 AM »
Looks really good pz!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
It does look really good.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 08:26:27 AM »
I love German potato salad! Thanks pz for giving me one of those,"Oh yeah we have to make that" moments! Yours looks great!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »
I love German potato salad! Thanks pz for giving me one of those,"Oh yeah we have to make that" moments! Yours looks great!

+1 to loving and to needing to make some (been a while).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
Thanks all!

As winter approaches, I'm sure that we'll all have those "dang, I gotta make some of that!" moments  ;D

Offline hikerman

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:29:05 PM »
Thanks all!

As winter approaches, I'm sure that we'll all have those "dang, I gotta make some of that!" moments  ;D
Yep pz, on this site we bring out the best in each other, plus a bit of humor mixed in as well.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
The humor is the most important part... jus' sayin'  ;) ;D
Member #

Offline Pappymn

German potato salad
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 04:21:55 PM »
Looks excellent. I love GPS. And I don't like regular PS
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109