Author Topic: Wing Commander's sauerbraten  (Read 1819 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Wing Commander's sauerbraten
« Reply #-1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:29:18 PM »
I love sauerbraten (German sour beef) and I'm always looking for authentic recipes... Wing Commander sent me his version...

The traditional version is made with horse meat but I didn't have a horse on the back 40 <lol> so I used four-pound beef rump roast.

I'll let it marinade for five days, turning it every day, and then braise (slow roast) it over the weekend.

I just need to find a good spatzle and red cabbage recipe!

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Wing Commander's sauerbraten
« on: September 30, 2013, 06:34:08 PM »
Hey Chef - what is the marinade?
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
Oh my.  That sounds good.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 06:45:50 PM »
Red wine, vinegar, clove, bay leaves, juniper berries, peppercorns, carrot, celery and onion
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 06:46:22 PM »
Thanks, Mike.
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:10 PM »
Red wine, vinegar, clove, bay leaves, juniper berries, peppercorns, carrot, celery and onion

If WC is o.k. with it - please put the recipe in the recipe section that fits this dish.....I am going to bet it is a keeper!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 09:19:51 PM »
yes, I would like to try this for sure. looks excellent!!

Offline hikerman

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 09:29:19 PM »
Looking great Chef!   

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 11:41:50 PM »
My mother was born in Germany, and made a form of Spätzle called Knöpfle - delightful little dumplings that definitely had great texture, tender, yet possessing an al dente quality.  She also made rotkohl (literally translated to red cabbage) to go along with her sauerbraten.  It was absolutely delicious and just as authentic (had it many times in Western Germany decades ago).  Unfortunately she passed away before I had a chance to write down her recipe (I could just kick myself silly for all the things I didn't do but should have)

The take home lesson: if you have living parents that possess knowledge and traditions that you would like to share with your kids, write them down while you have the chance.

Sauerbraten looks great, Chef - sounds like it will taste like what my mother used to make.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 12:13:22 AM »
My mother was born in Germany, and made a form of Spätzle called Knöpfle - delightful little dumplings that definitely had great texture, tender, yet possessing an al dente quality.  She also made rotkohl (literally translated to red cabbage) to go along with her sauerbraten.  It was absolutely delicious and just as authentic (had it many times in Western Germany decades ago).  Unfortunately she passed away before I had a chance to write down her recipe (I could just kick myself silly for all the things I didn't do but should have)

The take home lesson: if you have living parents that possess knowledge and traditions that you would like to share with your kids, write them down while you have the chance.

Sauerbraten looks great, Chef - sounds like it will taste like what my mother used to make.

My mom passed away a little over a year ago. As I get past the immediate pain, I am realizing what you are saying, pz. All the things I took for granted, the things that we would do "some day", the things I would write down "later", the pictures I would take "next time"... those times are gone now. So if your parents are still around, if any family is still around, do not waste one minute. Capture everything. Hard drives are cheap - fill them up with pictures and videos. Time is cheap, fill it up with memories.

And yes, that sauerbraten looks fantastic and I will make it for my in-laws who are very German!
Member #

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 01:21:13 AM »
If WC is o.k. with it - please put the recipe in the recipe section that fits this dish.....I am going to bet it is a keeper!

Here's the recipe I sent to bbqchef:

first of all you have to decide which meat you wanna use: originally Sauerbraten is made of horse roast, but most people take a beef roast.

Then you make a marinade of 500 ml red wine, 125 ml red wine vinegar, soup greens, 2 chopped onions, 1 chopped carrot, some black peppercorns, 2 bay leaves, 4 juniper berries, 2 allspice berries, 4 cloves. Cook for 5 minutes and let it cool down to room temperature. Then add the meat and let it rest for at least 2 days.

Take the meat out of the marinade, pat it dry and sprinkle with salt. Pour the marinade through a strainer to use it for the sauce.

Sear the meat in lard on high heat in a pot. When it has a nice crust, deglace with half of the strained marinade.

Optionally you can add beef or vegetable stock in equal parts with the marinade for getting the sauce milder.

Put the lid on the pot and braise the meat on low heat. Add some of the marinade (and stock) from time to time. Flip the meat after 45 minutes. Now add 1 crumbled slice of pumpernickel (if you can't get pumpernickel, add some other dark bread).

Braise further 30 minutes and add marinade (and stock). Then take the meat out of the pot and strain the sauce and add a handful raisins.

Slice the meat and serve the sauce seperately.

As sides I recommend bread dumplings and red cabbage.