Author Topic: TMB's Daddy's Grandma's Pasta Sauce  (Read 746 times)

Offline Ka Honu

TMB's Daddy's Grandma's Pasta Sauce
« Reply #-1 on: October 01, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »
Tommy contributed this on another forum several years ago but didn't save it.  Someone asked for it at the gathering so here you go.  If you have questions, ask him...

"Here is the basic sauce I told you I would send. Feel free to add or subtract as you see fit. This was a recipe my Great Grandma gave my late father a long time ago.

It has been update so you can get the stuff at the store and not have to crush your own tomatoes

In a large sauce pot, pour in EVO to cover bottom, Very important to follow these instructions!!!!!!   You will need

1 pound of 80/20 hamburger meat (you will get rid of fat later)   
       4 to 6 cloves garlic crushed. 
       1   baseball size onion diced.   
       2 cans tomato paste (hunts is best) small cans
       1  16oz bits and pieces tomatoes.   
       some water or red wine (your choice) 
       1/8 cup sugar (if you like sweet sauce half that if not) 
       about 2 tbs salt     
       2 tbs basil  (fresh if you can find it)

Start by heating EVO in the pot (not to hot) add garlic (1st) heat until garlic is transparent about 10 to 15 min's (do not brown)  after that's done add onion and cook till  it is transparent another 10 min's or so (do not let either of them brown) after the garlic and onion are transparent add the meat and turn the heat up, brown the meat and keep the mixture moving the whole time (again don't burn the garlic or onion) when the meat is brown turn the heat down and add the paste, add 8 oz wine or water and stir when that is blended add the tomato bits, salt, sugar and basil. You will need to add more moister to the sauce at this time (more or less to your liking) I like mine thick!  Let it simmer for 3 to 4 hrs remove the clear/fat that's on top and the "junk" is what Dad called it. Let it simmer again for another 2 to 3 hrs. Do the same as far as skimming .  Remove and let cool, place in a good container for the refrigerator. Let it sit for 2 day's, reheat and remove to the fat again. That's it.

Please remember I was taught this recipe by "Feel" but all the measurements should be right on.    My father always said you have to cook the garlic first or the recipe will not taste right. He said it's the oil in the garlic, if cooked after the onion the oil will not come out the same. I guess he was right, this is a very hardy sauce and the taste is wonderful.

Remember to add or subtract anything you don't like, hey it's your sauce!!!!!!!!   

Remember no two people can make it the same way so run with and see how good you can make it!"

My work here is done.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:39:50 PM by Ka Honu »
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: TMB's Daddy's Grandma's Pasta Sauce
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »
Thanks for the repost Big Guy! 

This is an old recipe but very good, Dad would make this 3 to 4 times a year and freeze it so we could heat up what we needed and didn't waste any
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 11:11:43 PM »
Thank you, Ka Honu and Tommy. This looks like an excellent recipe. And, it is sometimes so important HOW and in WHAT ORDER things are cooked to get the right layers of flavors. I will follow this next time I make a sauce.
Cheers!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:52:57 AM »
I love the name.  I'm waiting for TMB's Baby's Mama's Meatballs to go with it.  ???
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS