Author Topic: Texas Chili  (Read 7261 times)

Offline Pappymn

Texas Chili
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 06:40:45 PM »
I like the idea of no beans.  Am I wrong in believing "authenic" chili has no beans?  Dee

Yes, you are wrong ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Texas Chili
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 06:42:48 PM »
I like the idea of no beans.  Am I wrong in believing "authenic" chili has no beans?  Dee

No you are correct Dee!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 07:14:04 PM »
You are correct Dee.  I am OK with chili with beans, as long as you call it "stew."  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 07:52:16 PM »

As a "Son of the Republic" I can tell you that "Texas Style" chili has no beans.  Also as a Son of the Republic Texans havestrong opinions.... ;)

Look...if you like it without beans great! But when you move east across the U.S. you get beans in chili. And other crazy things like maynaise basex coleslaw on you hot dog or hamburger. :D

I like my chili BOTH ways...if it is GOOD CHILI...
I habe had really bad chili with no beans and chili loaded with beans that was awesome.

This is no different than someone stating real BBQ ribs are done with a dry rub only.....
My humble opinion is that if you are that fixated on onoy one method...you may not have allowed for ample tasting experince.
That is..try more diffferent kinds than what your prejudice may be telling you are o.k.
Who knows what you may discover.
Shoot....you might actually find that you like sauced or glazed ribs too...or maybe even find a great chili recipe with beans. Or MAYBE......jus5tmaybe that the Thermapen has a quality competitor in the Pro Temp from Maverick! :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Pappymn

Texas Chili
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 08:10:17 PM »

As a "Son of the Republic" I can tell you that "Texas Style" chili has no beans.  Also as a Son of the Republic Texans havestrong opinions.... ;)

Look...if you like it without beans great! But when you move east across the U.S. you get beans in chili. And other crazy things like maynaise basex coleslaw on you hot dog or hamburger. :D

I like my chili BOTH ways...if it is GOOD CHILI...
I habe had really bad chili with no beans and chili loaded with beans that was awesome.

This is no different than someone stating real BBQ ribs are done with a dry rub only.....
My humble opinion is that if you are that fixated on onoy one method...you may not have allowed for ample tasting experince.
That is..try more diffferent kinds than what your prejudice may be telling you are o.k.
Who knows what you may discover.
Shoot....you might actually find that you like sauced or glazed ribs too...or maybe even find a great chili recipe with beans. Or MAYBE......jus5tmaybe that the Thermapen has a quality competitor in the Pro Temp from Maverick! :D

Do they make a red one? Red is the fastest. ;D

Besides beans give me the opportunity to play pull my finger with my 9 year old son. Can't do that withTexas chili. ;D
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 08:46:41 PM »
 :D You are on a roll tonite!
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 09:40:09 PM »
Shoot, I ain't no expert or even a marksman when it comes to chili.  I never heard of it or pizza until I was in the Army.  Of course, there was a lot of things I never knew about until I was in the Army. They did showed us a very graphic film about some of them right before we got our first pass. Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:39 AM »
Some great lookin chili WC!!! I think I would have to tame it down some to keep the top of my head!
Here in Ohio Authentic chili has beans! Funny I have seen a lot of Texans, or so they claim, that include beans in their chili recipes!  :o  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 01:19:02 AM »
That chili looks delicious, particularly in that taco with the extras  ;)

Offline Wing Commander

• Visit my BBQ-Blog!
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 07:24:53 AM »
WC is it cooling down in Germany as it is here in the mid-west?

It has cooled down last week. Today we had 38°F in the morning.

Are we sure WC survived the heat? Should we call somebody? ???

No problem, Pappy. Next time I'm gonna use even some more bhut jolokia. It's getting cold outside. ;)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
I make chili with smoked brisket and NO beans...

But I'll serve beans on the side for those that want to have chili con carne...

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 08:54:59 AM »
From Wiki: "Chili con carne (“chili with meat”), more commonly known simply as “chili”, is a spicy stew"
Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 09:27:23 AM »
Chili...just like our beloved BBQ...has as many permutations as one's imagination. They are not all my favorite - but - I am only one opinion :D...

In New Mexico Chili is identified as either Green or Red. In most places the Green is the hotter of the two. But...not always.

In Cincinnati - the serve their famous chili over pasta - like a spaghetti sauce, but you better not call is a sauce ;)...it is chili in Cincy.

And - while there are "purists" among any crowd that follows and loves a food type - I think the fun is being surprised by the variations that are sometimes regional - or just a "speciality of the house".

I never expect them all to be my favorite - but, how will I know if there is something I might like better - unless I am open to taste and smell new things?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:50:28 AM »
Please note that in deference to our Euromembers I did not take part in this discussion of the controversial ingredients in what people call chili.  Some horses may be too dead to beat. This (like the Thermapen color wars) might well be one of them.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
Please note that in deference to our Euromembers I did not take part in this discussion of the controversial ingredients in what people call chili.  Some horses may be too dead to beat. This (like the Thermapen color wars) might well be one of them.

On the contrary ;D - one can choose to comfort themselves in a single minded attempt to "define" that which is un-definable by his/her own terms and definitions.... :D

Or - one can grin about it, know what he/she likes - but make allowances for a less pedestrian point of view. Be open to other tastes and aromas and textures.
SImply stated - tho I am a firm believer in my OWN chicken soup - I recognize their are many - perhaps countless ways to make a chicken soup. Some may even be as good as mine...and if I try to imagine it hard enough....their may even be one or two that are better... ;)

But - I will never know without trying them.....
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401