Author Topic: I got caught up with the Biscuit Making.  (Read 3071 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: I got caught up with the Biscuit Making.
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
Ok, Let's see if this is as Southern as I think.  Who has had biscuits with Black Strap Molasses'  or ribbon cane syrup poured over them?  I remember this as a  kid and the cook on the "Dixie Pirate"( Tug boat ) use to make 'em that way too. . .  Along with potato's and onions ... He was good ole a Georgia Boy...
Terry..I don't remember that but up here we split them and put real butter on them and top them with honey..yum. Mighty fine with fried chickens. Pammie .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 04:56:15 PM »
Ok, Let's see if this is as Southern as I think.  Who has had biscuits with Black Strap Molasses'  or ribbon cane syrup poured over them?  I remember this as a  kid and the cook on the "Dixie Pirate"( Tug boat ) use to make 'em that way too. . .  Along with potato's and onions ... He was good ole a Georgia Boy...

I thought having one kind of molasses or the other was required..... ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
 When we went over to Mississippi or Louisiana to see the relatives  my dad would stop at a place where the guy had a mule that turned a press for the sugar cane. He made cane syrup and sold it in silver cans. Looked like quart paint cans .
  I think he made some other brew as well but us young folks never got to try any of that. 
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 05:19:09 PM »
We used to put som butter on a plate, then pour molasses on the plate and "mash it up" together -then put in on our biscuit.

In my wife's family the tradition is to make apple butter for the biscuits. I brought some back today from the in-laws. They boil down the apples and sugar, and add butter.  The mixture is put in tupperware like resealable containers about 1 qt. capacity.Then this is frozen for long term storage, and brought out the night before use and put in the fridge to thaw.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 05:24:59 PM »
Now that sounds tasty!  My sister makes apple butter and jars it , but it's not like this.  Man I want some..
We used to put som butter on a plate, then pour molasses on the plate and "mash it up" together -then put in on our biscuit.

In my wife's family the tradition is to make apple butter for the biscuits. I brought some back today from the in-laws. They boil down the apples and sugar, and add butter.  The mixture is put in tupperware like resealable containers about 1 qt. capacity.Then this is frozen for long term storage, and brought out the night before use and put in the fridge to thaw.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 09:13:12 AM »
either butter & honey, butter & black strap molasses, or some kind of preserves all make biscuits even better. I am a big fan of gravy too, either sawmill gravy with sausage or red eye gravy. Spoon onto biscuits & enjoy.

Now steak & biscuits is a whole different animal, but just as good. We recently ate in our local Cracker Barrel and I was sad to learn that they no longer serve steak & biscuits. Good thing I can cook that myself @ home!   8)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »

Many years ago, I thought about traveling the country and doing a photo book about roadside diners and their biscuits and gravy...

When you do the tour, be sure to stop in here at Backyard Jack's...we'll have some biscuits for you along with some kind of gravy.

I'd like to be included on the itinerary...

That's a deal!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
Quote from: tlg4942
In my wife's family the tradition is to make apple butter for the biscuits.

Mmmm, love me some apple butter!  Apple butter is a huge tradition around these parts, especially with the large amount of German influence & the Amish.

This past Saturday we took a 30 minute drive down to the small town of Smithville to eat at the Smithville Inn. Eating there is like taking a step back in time. Serving their own homemade apple butter & biscuits with every meal has been a tradition since they opened in 1818.

Historic Smithville Inn

The Apple Butter recipe is as old as the inn, and I have never had better. When we were kids, going to eat there was a real treat and we couldn't wait to get there and get those biscuits & apple butter (and I still can't)!  Man that brings back some memories.

Cliff

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:39:48 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68