Author Topic: Perspecitve  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Hub

Perspecitve
« Reply #-1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:35 AM »
Yesterday, I judged my first MBN competition.  Huge BBQ and blues music festival in Charlotte.  Several friends cooked in it and one had sent me an e-mail a few months back because the organizer wanted KCBS judges.  The experience was both eye-opening and entertaining.  Lots of my judge friends there (many KCBS judges are also MBN certified).

MBN judging is "to your own taste" and comparitive (everything at the table gets judged versus what you percieve to be the best thing at the table).  Scoring is upposedly from 6 to 10 but is actually nines and tens.  The reps will "correct" you if they don't like your scores.  The quality of the barbeque was excellent but (in the backyard "challenger" division) was not trimmed or cut as well as I've seen.

Net -- MBN is a distant number two to KCBS in terms of membership and number of contests for a reason.  Not as deep, not as disciplined, and not as progressive in their outlook.  I don't wish MBN any ill, but I won't be seeking an MBN certification, either.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Perspecitve
« on: October 20, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
How did you like the "non-blind" part of the judging?
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 02:18:46 PM »
How did you like the "non-blind" part of the judging?

It provides entertainment for judges and a challenge to those competitors who may have trouble with their "pitch".  However, it does absolutely nothing for the quality of the food.  The on-site judging is just show.  What MBN calls "blind box" is where the rubber meets the road.

Hub 
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 05:04:12 PM »
Understood.  Just wondering if you enjoyed it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »
Understood.  Just wondering if you enjoyed it.

Sort of.  It is part of the MBN "culture" and the ones I saw were well staged.  I'm glad they do a parallel blind so that there is more concentration on the food. 

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 08:22:05 AM »
Cool.  Thanks.

PoppyBill

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »
I've never attended a BBQ competition and really wanted to catch that one, but work came first. Thanks for your report.

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:53:00 AM »
I've never attended a BBQ competition and really wanted to catch that one, but work came first. Thanks for your report.

Shelby, coming up on November 2nd, is a big contest in a much better venue.  Lots of classic cars in competition, too.  Not very many BBQ vendors, though.  Big name teams will attend to get in a few late points toward TOY standings.  No more Carolina contests until spring. 

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

Offline Savannah Stoker Controller

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 04:49:57 PM »
Are you judging or cooking Shelby?
We will see you at the Jack on Saturday.

Offline Hub

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 05:09:09 PM »
Are you judging or cooking Shelby?
We will see you at the Jack on Saturday.

Judging.

Can't wait to get to Lynchburg -- will keep an eye peeled for you.  Randi is going to take the judging class!

Hub
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

PoppyBill

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 09:50:19 PM »

Shelby, coming up on November 2nd, is a big contest in a much better venue.  Lots of classic cars in competition, too.  Not very many BBQ vendors, though.  Big name teams will attend to get in a few late points toward TOY standings.  No more Carolina contests until spring. 

Hub

Is it at the fairgrounds? Years ago I went to Hamfests there every year. Thanks for the info.

Offline Hub

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »

Hub

Is it at the fairgrounds? Years ago I went to Hamfests there every year. Thanks for the info.

It's at the city park -- can get you the address if you need it.  Are you a ham?  I'm N1OU.
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
Weber Performer
PBC

PoppyBill

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »

Hub

It's at the city park -- can get you the address if you need it.  Are you a ham?  I'm N1OU.

Yes... AA4ZF. Not active these days though.