Author Topic: Another competition, another GC  (Read 2159 times)

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
Another competition, another GC
« Reply #-1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
OK, this was a first year, non-sanctioned local comp. Just a one day ribs & chicken shootout. There were 19 teams, mostly local. We won first place chicken & sixth place ribs which was good enough to give us the GC. They only gave out plaques for first place and for the local county team that finished the highest.

Very cool looking plaques. Laser engraved on a polished slab of hickory wood.

And a ribbon for category places (first through tenth), as well as another trophy to add to our collection.

Not a bad year at all, with four backyard GC's, a second and a fourth, and two calls in our first Pro division comp. One more to go in December.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:21:30 AM by tnjimbob »
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Another competition, another GC
« on: October 29, 2013, 10:30:53 AM »
Way to go.  Congrats!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
Fantastic!  Want to post any recipes?  Hint.  Hint.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

PoppyBill

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »
Congrats!

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS JIMBOB!!!!!!!!

You've just been stiin' around in the background posting some humor when you should have been helpin' me out with some of your recipes and techniques.  Time to step up, man...I need all the help I can get.    8)

Sounds like it's been a great  year for you on tour.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, 01:40:02 PM »
Congratulations! That is way cool. The plaque IS really neat. Good for you!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 03:04:01 PM »
wow, congrats on the comp.  that is so cool.  one of our own is killing it out there.   :) :) :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 03:33:45 PM »
Congrats!

Fantastic job!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline happyappy

• Go Apps!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 03:40:48 PM »
Congratulations!  Nice to see we have such accomplished cooks amongst us!
Camp Chef Pellet Grill
BEESR
Cook Air Grill
Weber Genesis
Barrel House Cooker

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 04:00:44 PM »
SWEEET!!!  Way to go!!!

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 05:59:17 PM »
Big congrats from Georgia!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »
Congrats!  Now when you gonna cook close to me so I can stop by to see you?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Hub

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 08:00:33 AM »
CONGRATULATIONS  ;D

Neat trophy!

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 10:58:57 AM »
Thanks everybody! I really enjoy competing, and apparently I am doing OK in the backyard world, at least around here. Moving up to the Pro side full time is a big challenge that we are looking forward to trying.

Recipes? Hmm.... asking for recipes/techniques from a comp cook is kinda like the local paper in South MS. when they showed a big fish picture. They would ask the angler where they caught it, and the usual reply was, "in the corner of the mouth." Most comp cooks probably feel the same way about sharing their secrets. I guess I fall into that group a little bit too, but I have some basic info that I am willing to share.

I will tell you this - the most important thing about comp cooking, as well as backyard/catering/commercial cooking is to get to know your cooker and learn how to cook everything as consistently as possible. This is regardless of weather conditions, from cold to hot, rainy to dry, windy to calm. Learn your cooker and all it's idiosyncrasies - what makes it run hotter, colder, where the hot spots are, how to adjust temps up or down while cooking, etc. Best way to do this is practice, practice, practice... and take notes. A brief description of weather conditions, time of day, date, what you were cooking & how it was seasoned, sauces used, etc. will go a long way towards making you a better cook. I tend to want to mess with things too much while I am cooking, so having a journal keeps me occupied rather than me watching my cooker temps with a magnifying glass and wanting to look at what I'm cooking every five minutes.

As far as seasonings go, some comp folks will tell you that they wouldn't serve comp style 'que to communist sympathizers or anybody else they don't like, but I cook for comps much like I cook for family & friends. I just back off the flavor intensity a little and adjust the flavor profile. I might use a milder rub & a more middle of the road sauce, but the techniques are the same. I might cook ribs @ home a little longer than comp ribs, since most folks like FOTB (fall off the bone) ribs better than having a little chew/tug to get the meat off the bone like judges seem to prefer.

Butts & brisket I cook the same, because comp style is how I like both of them.

Chicken is literally a different animal, and not just a cliché.

At home, I still cook thighs like I do for comps, but I prefer cooking leg quarters and I cook a ton of wings on the grill/smoker too. I season them differently, using lemon pepper, garlic, seasoned salt and Italian seasoning in various combinations based on how I want the chicken to turn out. Hot wings are seasoned differently than just plain ole grilled chicken, etc.

Comp seasonings need to be balanced - not too hot, (but a little kick of heat), not too sweet (but a hint of sweetness), and not too herby/savory. I use a mix of a commercial rub with some things added to it, and I have done well with mixing two commercial rubs. Sauces I start with a commercial sauce and add a little something to it. Try adding a little apple juice, pineapple juice, honey, agave nectar, molasses, honey etc. and maybe a little hot sauce or dry rub to it. I think balance is the key to both seasonings (rubs) and sauces too.

Well, that's my take on comp techniques. I wouldn't share everything I know, but there's enough there to get you started. Don't be afraid to experiment and always take good notes, especially in the beginning. Comp cooking can be frustrating and expensive, and it can be rewarding and fun. Having realistic expectations and the ability to deal with setbacks will take you far in the comp world, Oh, and being willing to help others when they need it, as well as being friendly with other teams are the two biggest things to remember when competing. This ain't rocket surgery. Keep it simple, have fun and learn as much as you can if you are interested in comp cooking.
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen

Offline Palmyrasteak

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 07:31:01 PM »
Congratulations  :)