FORUM SPONSORS > Pit Barrel Cooker Co.

Second Cook/First Butt/Bark Advice Requested

(1/3) > >>

grossie:
So, I've got a carry in at work tomorrow and decided to try my first butt on the PBC. Coming from the infrared world, I'm hoping my rubs that didn't burn on the BEESR, will also not burn on the PBC. I did my traditional CYM and Bad Byron's Butt Rub last night.

When I got home tonight, I started the coals, skewered the butt, waited 20 minutes and hung the butt. I set my timer for two and a half hours and will check on it then.

I noticed that some of you were hoping for a crispier bark, and had talked about not foiling the butt as early as suggested. I've been unable to see if anyone was successful with that. Any advice would be appeciated.

BTW, don't get in a such a hurry that you light the coals before placing the basket in the PBC. I had to improvise and pick the basket up with a garden rake (once the flames went down a bit!). Do not try this at home. I am a trained...hmm...professional is certainly not the right word...well, anyway, do not try this at home!

[attachment deleted by admin]

grossie:
Internal temp right at 150 after 4 hours 15 minutes. I forgot to take a picture before I wrapped it in foil, added a little bit of lager, and put it on the rack.
Right on schedule, according to the vids, though.

muebe:
Waiting for the finish...

grossie:
You and me both. :-)
Over 170 now. I think my math was off a little earlier. :-)

sliding_billy:
Breakfast butt?  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version