Author Topic: need a good cranberry relish recipe  (Read 1823 times)

Offline sparky

• northern california
need a good cranberry relish recipe
« Reply #-1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
good morning to ya'll.  i'm sitting here talking to the mrs and were telling each other what the best part of thanksgiving dinner is.  for her its all about the mashed potatoes and gravy.  me, the cranberry relish and the next day hot opened faced turkey sandwich.  I love a good savory, tasty cranberry relish.  you can put it on everything on your plate.  it really does make or break a thanksgiving in my opinion.  help a old guy out.  anyone got a good cranberry relish recipe.  I know I can look on the internet but its better if it comes from one of the fam here at lettalkbbq.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

Re: need a good cranberry relish recipe
« on: November 20, 2013, 12:45:07 PM »
I'd be interested too - never did like cranberries much until I tasted a citrus drink the missus makes with fresh cranberries, cinnamon, orange juice, and lemon juice - sorta broke me into the taste of cranberries  ;D

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Well, I'll give it a shot.

I use bags of fresh cranberries. The first thing I do is take 2 bags of fresh cranberries and put them in a pot that covers the cranberries with water. I add 2 cups of white sugar, one per bag. I get three lemons and 3 naval oranges. I take the "zest" of the lemons and the oranges and add this to the pot. I then cut the meat out of the lemons and oranges and add this to the pot. I bring this to a boil and then turn the temperature down to a simmer for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, let this stand and don't get any of it on your fingers or hands as it is hot and sticks. Place this in a storage container and let it get cold over night and it should jell up pretty good. You will find that you will have the whole berries which have popped and the meat of the lemon and the orange blend together to get a nice chunky serving.

This may or may not meet your needs. But, I hope that this helps. You can modify any way that you like.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
I am with you, sparky - it's all about the cranberries. I really like them on a cold leftover sandwich ... turkey, dressing, etc... Unfortunately, we move between my wife's relatives every year and cranberries are not important to them.

So, I am interested in hearing some ideas. This is our year to host and I'd like to make the cranberries the star...  ;) ;D

Ed, that sounds good - I'm going to give it a try in the next day or two. Thanks!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 02:30:58 PM »
I don't make cranberry sauce. I make a cranberry relish salad with chopped cranberries and celery, apples, oranges and sometimes marshmallows in a jello mold. Then I fill the center with sour cream mixed with honey.  Yum. Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Northshore

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 02:56:25 PM »
I have made a relish using this recipe I found on Internet for several years. People seem to like it.

3 c. cranberries
1 large seedless orange (unpeeled), cut into pieces
1 c. sugar ( more or less- to taste)
1/4 cup  orange liquor (opt.)
In food grinder or blender, coarsely grind cranberries and orange. Add sugar and liquor (if used). Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Relish can be made up to one week ahead. Keep refrigerated. Makes about 3-4 cups.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »
Dang, sparky! Now you have me on a mission. If I can convince my oldest daughter, I think we'll start creating a new cranberry "relish" each night for the next several nights. We'll have a cranberry "section" on the buffet and let folks try a variety of options. My wife is going to kill me...  ???
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 03:29:45 PM »
I have made a relish using this recipe I found on Internet for several years. People seem to like it.

3 c. cranberries
In food grinder or blender, coarsely grind cranberries and orange. Add sugar and liquor (if used). Stir until combined. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Relish can be made up to one week ahead. Keep refrigerated. Makes about 3-4 cups.

I did not share this but sometimes, I put a cup of Grand Mariner in the mix to kick it up a notch. It kind of provides a unique flavor to the cranberries. It is also good after dinner with a nice big fat cigar.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
OK - sparky has me hooked. I talked with my older daughter - Emma. She's agreed to help me out. We are going to create a variety of cranberry recipes over the next several days. So, please post your favorite. Emma hates cranberries. My wife and her family hates cranberries. My goal is to create the ultimate cranberry dish that they all like... yeah... silly...  ;) ;D ;D

Let's see what we can do... give me your best shot... Thanx!

Member #

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 05:48:01 PM »
I never like cranberries either... But then I met Kerry, I don't guess it's a relish but she makes a real simple cranberry dish.  I will get her to give me the recipe to post.
 I think people over do cranberries sometimes and that's why some don't like them. 
She also has a cranberry salad recipe so I'll see about posting it too.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline deb415611

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
These are sauce, not relish but they are all yours Sparky if you want them  ;D

Cran-Blueberry Sauce

1 12oz bag cranberries
1 cup of water
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp  lemon zest
2 Tbsp crystallized ginger, minced
2 cups frozen or fresh blueberries

Put all in saucepan, mix, bring to a boil & then turn down to simmer. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the cranberries pop and it starts to thicken.

Cran-apple sauce

12 oz cranberries
2 large apples, peeled and diced
1 cup apple cider
1/2 cup maple sugar
1/2 cup vanilla sugar
(you could use 1 cup regular or brown sugar in place of the maple & vanilla sugar)
1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in saucepan, mix, bring to a boil & then turn down to simmer. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes until the cranberries pop and it starts to thicken.

you can modify any way that you want.   Just use the cranberry, sugar, liquid proportions as a base and let your imagination run wild

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »
ok.  now we got something to work w/.  my wife and I are both going to make our own cranberry relish / sauce from the list given.  mine going to be better.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Northshore

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Ed, your addition of the grand mariner would be a great mix, I have used triple sec or mandarin liquor,
Like the amount also in your post !!
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 08:56:38 PM »

3 c. cranberries

I make a cranberry relish similar to Northshore's.  Instead of adding orange liqueur, I add some tequila and jalapenos.  A little tequila will add a nice flavor to the relish.  The japs add some background heat.  I don't go overboard with either one.  I find that I can keep this quite a while, often freezing it for months, if there is any left.

I basically follow the relish recipe on the bags of cranberries.  The tequila and japs are my twist on the relish.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 07:41:05 AM »
Here are some sauces/ relishes I usually do...

Spiced Decas Bog Cranberry Sauce

1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
1/2 cup honey
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 (3-inch) cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
¾ cup water

Put the cinnamon and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth and tie with butcher's twine. In a medium saucepan, combine all the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes until the cranberries burst and the mixture is thickened. Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves. Transfer to bowl and cool. Serve at room temperature.

Cranberry-Horseradish Relish

1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup prepared horseradish, drained
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Combine ingredients in food processor. Pulse until cranberries are well chopped. Refrigerate at least two hours before serving.

Traditional Cranberry Sauce

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup water

In a medium saucepan, mix sugar and water. Stir to dissolve. Bring to boil over medium heat, add cranberries and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)