Author Topic: need a good cranberry relish recipe  (Read 1822 times)

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: need a good cranberry relish recipe
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 03:20:59 PM »

Not a recipe, but more of a starting point.   This is from a Gourmet Salami shop down in St Louis that I still need to visit sometime...

(lifted from a Facebook post)

Skip the scary cranberry sauce from a can this year and enjoy our delicious Cranberry Pear Mostarda. Fresh tart cranberries are balanced with pears, ginger, orange zest, mustard seed, chile flakes and a bit of dried cranberries for good measure. It's the perfect accompaniment to your Thanksgiving meal and makes a great spread for those day after sandwiches.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 03:37:12 PM »
These are a bunch of good recipes, ideas, starting points. Thanks for getting his going, sparky! Hey, this could be an interesting "picture" book as well as a video!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »
better start practicing making some.  might as well try a bunch of them before turkey day.  thank ya'll for making my T'day better.  I will have good cranberry relish this year.  bravo...... :)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 05:52:37 PM »
Here's my contribution for this holiday. I used to 2 12 oz bags of cranberries, the zest and the meat from 4 navel oranges, the juice of one lemon, 1 cup real sugar, 1 cup splenda, 2 cups water.

I brought the water to boil and added the sugar and splenda.

Then I added the  zest of the navel oranges. Mix this thoroughly.

I added the meat from the navel oranges which I cut into quarters and brought this again to a boil.

I added the 2 bags of cranberries and brought this to a boil.

I turned the temperature down to a low boil and let this go for 15 minutes stirring off and on every 2 minutes.

After 15 minutes, I removed this from the heat and placed this on a trivet to let cool. After a half hour of cooling, I moved this to its container and placed this in the fridge to cool over night. It will jell up and be a nice mix with chunks of orange and whole berries.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline jboo70

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 02:22:04 AM »
I know it's past due but maybe you can use it for next year.  My Mom-in-law make cranberry salsa.  cranberries, jalepenos, cilantro, onion, lime juice, sugar etc.  Whip it in a blender and serve.  I love it over some cream cheese.  Holy CRAP it is good.  She usually has to make three or so batches because we keep running out.