Author Topic: Lobster on the Grill Question  (Read 2859 times)

Offline MJSBBQ

Lobster on the Grill Question
« Reply #-1 on: December 11, 2013, 12:26:48 PM »
Wife and I were out to eat a while ago, and she ordered some grilled lobster. They waiter brought a lobster out, but the wife found that the lobster meat was stuck in the shell. They brought out a replacement lobster, and the same thing. I have never grilled lobster, so I am asking from ignorance. Is this what is expected, or did they cook it wrong? I would hate to spend the money for home lobster for the grill and screw it up.

Any tips on how to grill a lobster properly?

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Lobster on the Grill Question
« on: December 11, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
I normally bring the tails home.  split them in 1/2 and brush w/ butter.  hard side down for awhile then flip.  get some nice grill marks on the flesh.  waa laa.  pure heaven.  and while your grilling lobster might as well throw on some filets?  heh.  not a bad idea.   ;)  French bread and milk would be nice too.   ::)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:33:53 PM »
I normally bring the tails home.  split them in 1/2 and brush w/ butter.  hard side down for awhile then flip.  get some nice grill marks on the flesh.  waa laa.  pure heaven.  and while your grilling lobster might as well throw on some filets?  heh.  not a bad idea.   ;)  French bread and milk would be nice too.   ::)
What Sparky said....
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »
Sounds like they were overcooked... too hot and too fast
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 05:51:40 PM »

I think Chef hit it on the head! The lobster I did the other day was just about perfect and
I had it on the grill at about 350 for close to 12 minutes indirect and it was done. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline RAD

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 07:59:22 PM »

I think Chef hit it on the head! The lobster I did the other day was just about perfect and
I had it on the grill at about 350 for close to 12 minutes indirect and it was done.
The last couple I did were done like this and they were great. Oh, don't forget the butter.  :D
Love to cook and eat

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 08:13:01 PM »
What I have done is take a knife and cut the tail in half along the top. Then pull the tail meat out in one piece and lay it back on top of the shell. Then out to the grill
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 07:46:02 AM »
What I have done is take a knife and cut the tail in half along the top. Then pull the tail meat out in one piece and lay it back on top of the shell. Then out to the grill
I do the same only using kitchen scissors to cut the top of the shell.  We have the butter warmers and always have a piece of fillet to go with it....piece of lobster, in the butter, piece of fillet and in the mouth...mmmmm
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 03:02:12 PM »
Always split whole lobster, top AND bottom. start top down, then flip, over direct heat, but not TOO hot, basting with butter the entire time.   Watch closely--when the meat starts looking opaque, it's done.   Like others have said, don't overcook--watch it all the time! Do more tails than wholes, and even those not that often.  They're pretty pricey out here in the desert!

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 09:49:12 AM »
I do mine a little different. I take my game shears and cut the belly shell off, I also cut the sharp spines off the bottom at the same time. I then pull the meat up separating it from the shell. I season the meat, normally with Tony's Cajun seasoning and oil and place it back in the shell. I also use a wooden skewer to keep the tail from curling up as I cook it on the grill. I start out belly down to get a little color on the meat and finish up shell down till the meat is a nice opaque white color. Always makes the wife happy, happy, happy.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline RAD

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »
Always makes the wife happy, happy, happy.
And that's what it's all about  ;)
Love to cook and eat