Author Topic: Chocolate Chip Cookies  (Read 2455 times)

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
Chocolate Chip Cookies
« Reply #-1 on: December 12, 2013, 04:15:41 PM »
The wife decided to give a plate of cookies to some friends for a token of Christmas sharing. So, I was charged to produce a batch of Chocolate Chip Cookies and maybe tomorrow some thumb print cookies to go with this. In any event, I had another chance to use my new Kitchen Aid mixer and to give it a work out. Here's my Mom's recipe from my memory. Just to let you know, these are soft cookies and not hard like rock chocolate chip cookies.

INGREDIENTS:

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter, softened - 4 sticks
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla
pudding mix
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1.   Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
2.   In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
3.   Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.

Cookie Batter all mixed.

[/URL

Batch in the oven.

[URL=http://s1120.photobucket.com/user/edsigman/media/IMG_20131212_122449_836.jpg.html]

Batch, just out of the oven.

Another batch.

Another batch ready to go in the oven. Only have one cookie sheet at present. One coming tomorrow, so I used a pizza pan as well. Adapt, improvise, overcome!

Cookies waiting for the wife to do her package thing and make everything look festive and in the spirit of Christmas.

This recipe makes between 4 and 5 dozen. Tastes real good. I had to try one. But, that's got to be it.

Merry Christmas

Ed

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:27:51 PM by veryolddog »
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Chocolate Chip Cookies
« on: December 12, 2013, 04:27:03 PM »
Sounds good.  I'll bet that new mixer did great.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 05:03:08 PM »
Veryolddog..go to Sam's club and for less than $7.00 you can get a set of 2, 1/2 sheet pans. If you can spare the change..get a couple of Silpats.. keeps things from sticking and they really work for anything you bake.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Chocolate Chip Cookies
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 05:40:31 PM »
Looks like a winner to me. You can't have too many sheet pans. Get mine at a restaurant supply place
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:26:09 PM by Pappymn »
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:17:59 PM »
Those look great ;D now I feel like a glass of mild
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 06:18:20 PM »
My goodness those like like chocolaty, chewy goodness!

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
Those look delicious Ed! The only thing that would make them better is if they were peanut butter chocolate
chip cookies!! 8)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 08:46:24 PM »
Thanks for posting this . I've been wanting to do some cookies and couldn't make of my mind as to which to do. These will do it.

Pam, you really like those mats?  I was given some and have not tried them yet.  I've heard mixed reviews as to how well t hey brown.  I know what I'll do!!!  I'll so one of them there 'speriments by doing some on bakin' sheet and some on  the mats and   then observe which is gooder and the write an article with pictures for Bon Appiteteee and become famous.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Pappymn

Chocolate Chip Cookies
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 09:03:52 PM »
Thanks for posting this . I've been wanting to do some cookies and couldn't make of my mind as to which to do. These will do it.

Pam, you really like those mats?  I was given some and have not tried them yet.  I've heard mixed reviews as to how well t hey brown.  I know what I'll do!!!  I'll so one of them there 'speriments by doing some on bakin' sheet and some on  the mats and   then observe which is gooder and the write an article with pictures for Bon Appiteteee and become famous.

Dee

I just use parchment.....nothing to wash
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 11:04:54 PM »
That is my wife's favorite cookie VOD, they look good!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline deb415611

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 07:17:36 AM »

cookies look great!

Dee

I just use parchment.....nothing to wash

I do too, at the restaurant supply place they have a box of 1000 full size sheets for about $40.  The box lasts 3 or 4 years and I give tons away.  I only use 1/2 sheet at a time so it's really 2000 sheets.    I think King Arthur charges $20 for 100 1/2 sheets (though theirs is thicker but the thickness is not needed)

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 07:32:00 AM »
I have tried the parchment and they work real well, but I keep running out and forgetting to get more..so I started with the silicone and have never looked back..Even the cheap ones work, so get your best price.. When I'm done I just use soap and water while leaving the silicone sheet on the pan. wash and rinse, makes it so much easier to wash with the pan still there. Then dry and done. I probably have 10 of the half sheet pans..I do bake a lot. The full size pans are great too, also the 1/4 sheet pans fit perfectly in my smoker. I have them at home and the camper.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline deb415611

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 07:37:05 AM »
I probably have 10 of the half sheet pans..I do bake a lot. The full size pans are great too, also the 1/4 sheet pans fit perfectly in my smoker. I have them at home and the camper.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི

I have 6 1/2, 4 1/4 ,  and a couple of 2/3 sheet pans - a really good size for bringing things in and outside from the smoker

Offline Pam Gould

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
I agree with you there..I always put 2 pans together and bring the dirty one in and wash and still have one out there in just case it's needed..saves a few steps.  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:47 AM »
Speaking of "silpats", I just read an article about them that said that cookies come out thinner on silpats because the surface is slippery and non stick which allows the cookie dough to flatten out. Therefore, you do not have the "plump" cookie but what you get are flat cookies.

Have any of you noticed this?

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.