Author Topic: "Nuts" to start my Holiday cook  (Read 2159 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
"Nuts" to start my Holiday cook
« Reply #-1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:38:31 AM »
Dec 18 2013

Christmas is getting close so I smoked some nuts today to have for snacks. I found a recipe for chili lime almonds at Katheryn’s Kitchen blog that sounded good. She did hers in the oven but I adapted it to my smoker to add some smoke flavor. I had 3 lbs. of almonds and the recipe was for one pound so I doubled it and did two pounds. I also had a pound of pistachios to do.

Link for Almond recipe http://katherynskitchen.com/2012/06/04/chili-lime-spiced-roasted-almonds/

For the pistachios that I have done before I stir in two tablespoons of melted butter per pound and add seasoning. You could also use olive oil and your favorite seasoning, my favorite seasoning for them is Penzey’s sandwich sprinkle. It is salt, garlic, parsley and the Italian seasonings.

I usually smoke the pistachios at 170 deg. for two hours; they are already roasted so you don’t need much heat. Reading more on smoking almonds I found for them it is best to smoke at 225 to 250 deg. for 2 to 3 hours when using any surgers in the seasoning mix, marinade. It’s also best to let the almonds in the marinade for several hours in the fridge before smoking. To save pellets and time I did the pistachios along with the almonds but just for an hour and 15 minutes. I did the almonds for 2 hours and 20 minutes.

The pistachios came out great but I didn’t think my almonds were as chili or lime tasting as I thought they would be. They may be better done as the recipe in the oven on parchment paper so they set in the marinade and caramelize. I think I lost a lot of the seasoning and marinade in the perforated pan I used.

Our daughter is coming from the Chicago area and our son, wife and the grandson will be here and we are having dinner on Christmas Eve, holidays are the only time I call it dinner instead of supper. I am smoking chicken and then shredding it for chicken sandwiches. My sides will be cheesy scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole and some fresh corn I have vacuum packed and frozen.

We will start with a late lunch having some appetizers, shrimp cocktail, and some egg rolls and spring rolls. Then we will work into having dinner about 5:30. The spring and egg rolls I ordered from a local Philippine lady who is selling them to help her family back in the Philippines. She lost her Aunt and Uncle in the recent floods and other family members lost their home. She delivers them frozen for $8.00 a dozen. I got a doz. of each and will donate some extra. I will know that the extra will go directly to some who really need it.

Merry Christmas to all and may you and family have some great food together! Smokin Don and the Mrs.

Ingredients for the Almonds

Juicing the limes

The marinade

Almonds coated with marinade

Pistachios ready to smoke

Just before I took the pistachios off

The finished almonds

Ready for Christmas

Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

Re: "Nuts" to start my Holiday cook
« on: December 19, 2013, 02:00:55 AM »
Those look delicious, Don, and I although I typically don't like almonds (too bland), the nuts in your photos would be way too difficult to resist!

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 02:51:40 AM »
Great looking Nuts. 

that doesn't sound right. 

i wonder if I can get my kids to eat smoked almonds.  they love raw almonds. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 03:39:46 AM »
[insert joke about your nuts here].  Seriously, nice looking snack.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 03:58:01 AM »
Nice looking snacks Don! We really don't care much for almonds, but I will be trying your
way with some pistachios.  We really like the Penzeys Sandwich Sprinkles.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
I have been wanting to smoke some almonds.. thanks for the inspiration Don!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 09:36:41 AM »
Those almonds look great Don!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:29:34 AM »
Anyone who tries the recipe I would recommend adding some Cajun seasoning or cayenne I didn't get much chili taste but they were better after setting overnight. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 11:42:59 AM »
I will keep this clean, nice nuts ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »
MMMM, those almonds have a gorgeous color to them!  Thanks for the tips on adding a little extra flavor, too-- I've been wanting to find some more recipes for smoked nuts to see what other flavors we like. 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/