Author Topic: Beef Stock  (Read 1561 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Beef Stock
« Reply #-1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:12:03 AM »
I'm a big fan of homemade stocks... they are so much better than even the best commercial stocks.

Beef Stock (Brown Stock)

Many people think that stocks are difficult to make. They are not! Stocks are time consuming, but the stove does most of the work.

What’s the difference between stock and broth? A stock is based on bones while a broth (or bouillon) is based on meat. While a properly prepared broth is flavorful, a stock delivers a richer mouth feel because of the gelatin extracted from the bones.

The trick for making a great stock (vegetable, fish, chicken, veal or beef) is don’t rush it. For beef or veal stock, take the time to brown the bones and roast the vegetables. Bring the stock to a simmer, don’t let it boil. Skim the stock often and you will be rewarded with a wonderful stock that can be used for soups, sauces, gravies or preparing a classic demi-glace (a combination of beef stock and espagnole sauce that is fortified with Madeira and reduced).

5 pounds beef marrow bones, cut into 3-inch pieces
Olive oil (not the good stuff)
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 stalks celery, rinsed and chopped
2 carrots, washed and chopped
2 onions, peeled and quartered
1 leek, chopped and well-rinsed
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
4 bay leaves (Turkish or California, your choice)
3 sprigs fresh thyme
4 sprigs fresh parsley
6 whole cloves
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Cold water

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Spread the bones on a roasting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for about an hour, turning once. Remove from the oven and brush the bones with the tomato paste. Add the vegetables and roast another 30 minutes.

Drain the fat from the pan and reserve for another use (I use it for browning pot roasts, etc. or making Yorkshire pudding). Transfer the roasted bones and vegetables to a 6 1/2-quart stock pot. Deglaze the roasting pan with the wine (or water) and pour into the stock pot. Add the peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme, parsley and cloves. (You could make a cheesecloth sachet but you really don’t need to as the stock will be strained.) Cover the bones with cold water. Add the vinegar.

Bring the bones and vegetables to a simmer over medium heat. Don’t let the stock boil. Every thirty minutes or so, skim off any foam that rises to the top of the pot. Let the stock simmer, uncovered, for at least six hours. (It can simmer for up to 24 hours.) Add a little more water and lower the heat if you are getting too much evaporation.

When the stock is done, strain it through a cheesecloth-lined colander. Chill quickly, then refrigerate overnight. Skim off the fat that has solidified on top and discard (or reserve for braising). This batch yielded one cup fat and 5 1/2 cups of stock.

(If desired, the stock can be returned to the stovetop and reduced by one-half producing a very concentrated stock.)

I pour the cooled stock into ice cube trays and freeze the trays. When frozen, transfer the stock cubes to a resealable plastic bag and store in the freezer for future use.

Beef marrow bones ready for roasting

One hour later, nicely browned and some of the fat rendered

Time to add the veggies

About 30 minutes later everything is ready for a swim

All the ingredients in the stock pot and covered with cold water.

A quick stir and time to simmer for a few hours.

Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Beef Stock
« on: January 09, 2014, 10:15:43 AM »
Nice write-up & instructions Mike. Thanks!
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »
I can almost smell it.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 11:12:14 AM »
Thanks for the post!
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:17 AM »
That's going to be good
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
HAWNGRY!!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
Thank you Mr. Chef, I will take that ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 04:30:56 PM »
Noooooooooooo no no no .
first you Smear the roasted marrow from the bones on a toast .(just a bit of cholesterol )
only  then you boil them.
 ;)
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:02:24 PM »
Noooooooooooo no no no .
first you Smear the roasted marrow from the bones on a toast .(just a bit of cholesterol )
only  then you boil them.
 ;)

You don't find bone marrow much anymore but I remember my Dad doing that ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:20 PM »
Absolutely right but I prefer to keep the marrow in the bones to make a richer stock.

But the marrow with a bit of garlic and black pepper on crusty toast is a fantastic treat or appetizer!
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline Pappymn

Beef Stock
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
Great post! Too bad I am too lazy and busy to make this a practice. I would think an enterprising company could replicate this and charge a premium price.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
Mike, What is the procedure when making chicken stock as far as the bones are concerned?   Do you roast the chicken bones rather than beef and if so do you spread the chicken bones with the paste?  Would the procedure for broth be the same except no bones?  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
I agree that looks like it is going to be really great!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 07:01:43 PM »
Mike, What is the procedure when making chicken stock as far as the bones are concerned?   Do you roast the chicken bones rather than beef and if so do you spread the chicken bones with the paste?  Would the procedure for broth be the same except no bones?  Dee

Good question Dee, I'm sure most will have Turkey parts ready to be turned in to soup ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 07:56:40 PM »

Good question Dee, I'm sure most will have Turkey parts ready to be turned in to soup ;D

Ditto.

I throw out pounds and pounds of 1/2 chicken carcases every week...