Author Topic: Lems Teriyaki Jerky  (Read 2430 times)

Offline Jaxon

Re: Lems Teriyaki Jerky
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2014, 08:41:39 AM »
Thanx for the tips,  Devo.  I was told to trim all the fat, but wasn't told WHY.   Now I understand the why and I'll be very careful with it.
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2014, 09:31:30 AM »
Looks really good.. I need to try this.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline africanmeat

• Cape Town South Africa
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 09:41:03 AM »
Man it looks great.
Ahron
cadac gas grill
GMG Daniel Boone
MES 30"
RF self made smoker
wood pizza oven
weber

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 04:00:24 PM »
Okay, here's my first attempt at beef jerky...I smoked it @ 170* for 3 hours in the Masterbuilt.

According to Deb...it turned out.  To quote her - "It tastes like a SlimJim"

[attachment deleted by admin]
<><

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 05:32:44 PM »
Yup looks like jerky to me......ya done good.
Your temps where is bit higher than mine but it looks like it turned out OK. I like 140-150 for jerky. Just so I am not cooking it and only drying it  ;)

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:17 PM »
Good looking jerky guys, I'm getting that last pack out of my deep freeze here in a minute :)

Offline jboo70

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 03:27:52 AM »
Good looking jerky guys, I'm getting that last pack out of my deep freeze here in a minute :)

Do you make the jerky first and then freeze it or do you marinate the raw meat and then freeze it? 

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2014, 07:31:21 AM »

Your temps where is bit higher than mine.  I like 140-150 for jerky. Just so I am not cooking it and only drying it  ;)

My son told me to use 170 for 3 hours.  I used BACKWOODS ORIGINAL. The instructions on the package said "heat oven to 200"...glad I used 170.  Also added one load hickory chips to the MES at the beginning.  I don't think I'll do that again...let the marinade be the flavor.

Mine has a good texture that is chewy but not tough at all.

Oh, and NOW he wants to get into making a smokin' his own sausage and, of course, wants me to try it as well.  I wish he lived close by so we could work together on it.
<><

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2014, 08:09:26 AM »
The only reason I use a lower temp is I know how long it will take to do say 5 pounds of jerky. Most of my loads take 7-8 hours. That's with rotating the racks top to bottom and front to back every couple of hours so they all get done around the same time. Of course some will be done before the others but at least I am there in the 7-8 hour period to remove them so they don't burn.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

Your temps where is bit higher than mine.  I like 140-150 for jerky. Just so I am not cooking it and only drying it  ;)

My son told me to use 170 for 3 hours.  I used BACKWOODS ORIGINAL. The instructions on the package said "heat oven to 200"...glad I used 170.  Also added one load hickory chips to the MES at the beginning.  I don't think I'll do that again...let the marinade be the flavor.

Mine has a good texture that is chewy but not tough at all.

Oh, and NOW he wants to get into making a smokin' his own sausage and, of course, wants me to try it as well.  I wish he lived close by so we could work together on it.

Jaxon they tell you 200F to make sure and kill any bacteria and so they don't get sued. If you use the pink salt included in the backwoods package and marinate properly this high temp is not needed IMHO. You can use a high temp like 350F for the first 15 minutes to bring the meat up to a food safe temp then drop it down to 150F for the rest of the time. The key is to get the meat up to 165F. This is one way to pasteurize the meat and make it shelf safe. Strips of meat I would not worry about as much as ground beef jerky. Especially if you did not grind the meat yourself.

When making jerky you are technically drying the meat and not really cooking it. I like to stay in the 150F range.

Air movement and venting is important when making jerky. If using a smoker or oven without convection then constant rack rotation is needed for even drying.

Also different pieces will finish at different times. So you will need to pull out pieces as they finish. So having uniform strips with the same thickness is good.

And you don't need a lot of smoke. The meat is thin, wet, and able to absorb a lot of smoke. A hour of smoke should be plenty in the first hour if drying. If using smoke the entire time you will get a bitter taste IMHO.

Also don't use a water pan. Lower humidity is what you want. You can add salt to that pan to whisk some moisture out of the air to aid in drying a little bit.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2014, 01:54:47 PM »
I cut-up a roast and seasoned it with the cure salt and seasoning and now I have a couple of questions.

It states to let it sit in the fridge for at lest 24 hours with the cure and seasoning. I don't plan on cooking it until Saturday when I have the time to watch it. Can I leave it in the fridge that long or should I put it in the freezer until Friday?  Can I also add some Worcestershire sauce to it or will that mess with the cure?
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2014, 02:03:45 PM »
I would say freeze it, and no adding Worcestershire sauce will not affect the cure. What it will do is add more salt to the mix. If you have low salt Worcestershire sauce I would add that instead.

Offline RAD

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
I would say freeze it, and no adding Worcestershire sauce will not affect the cure. What it will do is add more salt to the mix. If you have low salt Worcestershire sauce I would add that instead.
Thanks Smoke. I added some W-Sauce, not a lot and will let it sit and then toss it in the freezer until Friday.
Love to cook and eat

Offline RAD

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 07:13:03 PM »
Thanks Smoke. I added some W-Sauce, not a lot and will let it sit and then toss it in the freezer until Friday.
come out great.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Love to cook and eat

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 07:23:23 PM »
Looks like a home run to me.