Author Topic: In the Kraut Business Now  (Read 2928 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: In the Kraut Business Now
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Jan 03 2014

My cortido, (curtido), South American style sauerkraut had set in my fermenting crock for 21 days for a full fermentation. It looked good; no scum on the top and it had a nice pinkish red color. I had read up on it and found the traditional is pickled in pineapple vinegar and sometimes made fresh like our vinegar based coleslaw.

I had a little scum on the top the first four days that I skimmed off but after that it stayed clear. After the seventh day I left it covered until done. I had to add water to the seal every couple of days due to evaporation.

I ended up with 4 ½ quarts and stored in the fridge to cure a few days. I did a taste test and not really sure I will like the stuff; it might be better after setting a few days. My fermenting book that had the recipe I used called for three to seven day fermentation so it actually might be better with a shorter fermentation.

In South America it is usually served with Pupusa’s; much like Mexican arepas only thicker and stuffed with cheese, pork, and loroco. Loroco is an edible herb and the flower buds are pickled. All I could find is it is a little like capers. The curtido and Pupusas are served with tomato sauce.

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:15:46 PM »
Took on quite a bit of color!

Very interesting and thanks for sharing ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 02:36:40 AM »
You did a nice job,real pretty
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 04:09:26 AM »
I have the gallon jug with the thing on top and started a batch of sauerkraut just yesterday. Look out 4/11/14. It's on. Thanks Don for all your info... couldn't have done it without you. It tastes just like my Romanian grandma's. I remember  the smell from when I was a kid..YEARS ago.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 01:53:36 PM »
Hey,is it just me because I LIKE the smell of kraut fermenting.Smells foodie,like that.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.